cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Enterprise Vault server well sized?

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I have search but couldn't find, some document, tool or formula to know if my Enterprise vault infrastructure can handle the entire organization?

Up to now it been limited to 1500 mailbox/users, because it has been a success experience, they want to include every mailbox and every user, we now are talking about 15000 mailbox/user. 

My question is:

How can I validated that my server will handle the load?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB

this guide should have information to help you make your case.

The Performance Guide provides guidelines on how effectively to size a Symantec Enterprise Vault environment and optimize performance.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4553

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

One of the 1st considerations is how many emails to archive on a nightly basis.  This is based on the number of users x average number of emails per day.  Using this number you can then compare the nightly activity to the performance guide numbers. 

Generally speaking an 8core EV server with 8+GB RAM should be able to archive ~60,000 emails per hour.  I usually design to 75% capacity, thus reducing that to 45,000 email per hour. 

15,000 users x ~50 emails per day = 750,000 emails per night

Using a 4 hour archive window @ 45,000 emails per night you'd need ~4 EV archiving servers.

These are general numbers... you'll need to plug in your own estimates.  You can also lengthen the archive window, but keep in mind after hours activity like Exchange backups, EV backups, etc...

AndrewB

you use the word server which is singular so if you only have 1 then no, i highly doubt it can handle 15000 users.

the best thing to do would be to engage a partner that has experience architecting and designing an archiving system for such a large environment.

Tonaco_pt

I have an cluster with 2 phisical node and 2 virtual server (SQL+VAULT). I need to prove that we don´t have the resource to support so many user.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How many Exchange servers and will you be journaling everyone?

What is the average number of messages per day and average size?

I would recommend you have an architect take a look at what you currently have and give you a recommendation to accommodate the projected growth.  You don't want to overburden an EV server and then have to re-architect after the fact, best to get it right and it will save you money in the long run.

AndrewB

this guide should have information to help you make your case.

The Performance Guide provides guidelines on how effectively to size a Symantec Enterprise Vault environment and optimize performance.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4553

Tonaco_pt

We archive one year old data, most already been delete, today we only archive in average 15 msg per user/day. What I would like is some documentation how in how to size Enterprise Vault.

Tonaco_pt

We will have 6 Exchange 2010 mailbox server, no journaling, on average 15 msg/user with 1 mb size. We have asked our local Symantec office for support. I want to be learn that why I'm asking. thank for your support.