cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to programmatically reset the vault cache?

Scott_B1
Level 4

Hi,

I have a large number (>1000) of clients that i would like to reset the vault cache for. Instead of asking the desktop team or our staff to reset the cache themselves i would like to programmatically reset the vault cache by using PowerShell (.Net) or another programming language. To date i have been unable to determine a way to do this, however i was thinking it may be possible to do it via the Enterprise Vault API? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Simplest thing to do would to be to delete or rename their KVS directory By default it would be C:\Users\username\appdata\local\KVS Or \\machineName\c$\users\username\appdata\local\KVS Or you can set a regkey on their machine OVReset=1 But in terms of the server telling the clients to reset that's unfortunately not possible
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Scott_B1
Level 4

Thank you JW3.

It is a shame we dont have a way to do it more cleanly. I would like the ability to reset the cache & re-sync with the server through the CLI.

The major concern of deleting the files (as i am sure you understand) is items that have not been synchronised with the server in the users cache will be lost.

I have tried the OVReset DWORD & it appears to do something as the key is removed once i start up Outlook again, however i cannot see it deleting any .mdc or .db files. Is this the expected behaviour?

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

JW3, do they want to perform Run Now's on all the users first before removing mdc's? Maybe you could come up with a logon script to remove C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\ and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\

Scott_B1
Level 4

hi dcVAST,

How about the VC mail data that has not been synchronised with the server? If we pull the files from the client we will possibly lose data.

Thank you

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

That's why you proabably want to do a Run Now on the users first.

Scott_B1
Level 4

So i pulled the VC from my client. Now it is showing that no vaults are available. If i perform a run now against the mailbox it does not initiate a synchronisation of the vault cache. The only way i can get it to build the mdc/db is to manually click on the synchronisation button. Programatically this leaves me with very few options as i cannot force a synchronisation.

Any thoughts?

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

If you removed the directory and registry key you should get a VC prompt after re-launching Outlook and it will sync. For Virtual Vault check the box on the Virtual Vault tab of Vault Cache Properties.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can, in an unsupported way, edit the hidden message in a user mailbox...

Working for cloudficient.com