Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal Mailbox not appearing

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I am trying to target a journal mailbox but I am having no luck. I go through the wizard but I cannot see the new journal maibox. I have ran the provisioning task but still no luck. I though we could run a sync via the mailbox archiving task but the customer is only running journaling.

I have created a new archive but that did not help either. They are running 9.0.3.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you just create the journal mailbox?  Create a mail profile for it in Outlook and verify you can open it.  You could also send a piece of mail directly to it as a test.  Sometimes it takes a bit to show but sending mail to it will speed the process up.

Then try to add it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

More information,

I cannot see the mailbox in the wizard to setup a new journal mailbox (Targets) or if you try and select a new system mailbox. I can only see the account in the provisioning

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

You could DTRACE the MMC process when doing this and you may see why it isn't being shown.

Open a CMD prompt. Browse to EV install dir. Type DTRACE. Once it's opened type SET MMC V (then return) then LOG C:\MMC.log (then return).

Goto the VAC and repeat the process. Then go back into the DTRACE, type EXIT and close DTRACE, then look (or post) the log file.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you actually used the Mailbox as a Journaling Mailbox in exchange?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

OK done

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I dont think it has been setup full on the exchange side as of yet, i.e. we have not started pushing mails there. Does EV check against the mailbox and determines if the mailbox has the journaling credentials? It never used to do that.

TonySterling

You don't enable the journal mailbox like you do other mailboxes.

1. create the journal mailbox in Exchange

2. create a journal archive.

3. add a journal task

4. To add an Exchange Server journal mailbox as a target

•  In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand Archiving Targets.
  •  Expand the domain that contains the Exchange Server with the journal mailbox you are adding.
  •  Expand Exchange.
  •  Expand the Exchange Server.
  •  Right-click Journal Mailbox and, on the shortcut menu, click New > Journal Mailbox.

The New Journal Mailbox wizard starts.

See chapter 7 for the Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving.pdf

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Tony I have done all of that but the problem is I cant select the new mailbox, it is not in the list of mailboxes. All i see is the EV system account, our two other journal mailboxes and the system mailboxes nothing else. Non of the users mailboxes are appearing either.

TonySterling

Did you just create the journal mailbox?  Create a mail profile for it in Outlook and verify you can open it.  You could also send a piece of mail directly to it as a test.  Sometimes it takes a bit to show but sending mail to it will speed the process up.

Then try to add it.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

definitely try what tony suggested about creating the outlook profile to make sure you can access it from the ev server.

next, if memory serves me right, there was another thread in the forums where the outcome was that the journal mailbox needed to be part of a provisioning group in order for you to enable it for archiving. can you try that?

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you added the mailbox as a journal mailbox in Exchange ?

So in Exchange has the mailbox been added to a database or journal rule as a journal mailbox?

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is the mailbox hidden within Exchange?

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited
HI All Left the mailbox over the weekend and this morning it appeared. The mailbox did replicate and I was able to open it in Outlook. This morning when I arrived the mailbox could be found in the VAC. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.