cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling task runs but doesn't vault anything.

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

We are using Enterprise Vault 2007 v7.5. We set up a journaling mailbox but its not being vaulted. I already created a new task, a new policy, a new journal mailbox(both on exchange and in evadmin). I made a new vaultstore. Before creating the new ones I cleaned up the queues related to the journaling so that I was sure that he would use the new once that are created. Everything looks fine for as far as I can see. There are a couple of errors in the tracelog mainly

"The queue .\private$\Enterprise Vault Archive Agent Admin Queue is already open.|It is likely that another process is running and will be processing the Nack messages placed on this queue.|This Nack Handler will now terminate, as it is redundant.  No additional action is necessary."

that I find suspicious. There is no queue forming in the private queues. Tasks are all running and syncronizing gives an afermative reply.

I added a tracelog that ran for 30 minutes under the Journal archiving issues trace category.

It would be lovely if any of you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Wim

26 REPLIES 26

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey mate,

Is your Anti-virus scanning msmq?

Check out this technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/317383

It looks to be your same issue.

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner

Nope, we removed the virus scanner from the machine and did a reboot.

Thanks for the response.

Wim

TonySterling

Have you tried stopping all the EV servers and uninstalling and reinstalling msmq? 

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner

I just tried to reinstall it, and it didn't work.

Thanks again

TonySterling

you might want to open a case with support as it sounds like you need someone to take a look at your configuration.

Regards, 

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Are you sure that there are not 2 Journal Tasks going to the same server? (Think you can't configure this, but just to be sure)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

MichaelZ,

What happens if there are 2 journal tasks going to the same server? I think it lets you configure it but only the first one gets the targets.

MichelZ
Level 6
Well - yes. But his error message: "The queue .\private$\Enterprise Vault Archive Agent Admin Queue is already open.|It is likely that another process is running and will be processing the Nack messages placed on this queue.|This Nack Handler will now terminate, as it is redundant. No additional action is necessary." points to something which is running more than once. Just trying to rule out things... :D

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I had the same issue on my test system the other week where journaling all of a sudden stopped and I was getting that message in the DTRACE as well.

Was a bit strange as no other task was on the box so did not really understand why it was giving me this.

Anyhow in my case I uninstalled and reinstalled MSMQ and it problem was fixed.

TonySterling

Wim,

when you re-installed did you reboot after you uninstalled?

Would you do the uninstall again, reboot, then reinstall?  

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

That dtrace statement is normal and expected.  You'll see it in any journal dtrace at start up.  It's just all to do with multiple threads and the fact that one thread got there first to do some work so the other threads then don't need to bother. that's why it's try to say not additional action is neccessary

Mike

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

Sorry to make you all wait so long after giving all those helpfull sugestions. I had to put in a change request for the reboot. But even rebooting after the uninstall didn't help. After the reboot restarted all the services and ran a sync of the journalmailbox. There is only one task, one mailbox. So I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks for all the help,

Wim

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

After the reboot it seems the eventlog is populated with errors. I added a xls with the evault eventlog from after the reboot. Errors are better then no errors, at least you know somethingis wrong, now just to find out what.

Any ideas?

Wim

GertjanA
Hello Wim,

Queue FormatName: PRIVATE=f24d5d84-7cb1-497e-aeab-b941fbc80f92\00000011

What kind of servername can that be? The line indicates 'server not found'.
A previous entry also was something about a trusted DSN.

I suggest the following:
Stop EV and MSMQ services.
Set EV-services to disabled.
Recheck msmq is stopped also
Find the location for msmq (storage) rename to .old (rightclick message queing. properties I belive)
Create a new folder for msmq (same drive, make sure folder is exclude from AV-scanning)
Start msmq
Verify that works
Start EV-services.
Verify no weird entries in eventviewer.

MSMQ's should get recreated by EV. Also make sure msmq is NOT AD-integrated.

If that does not work, uninstall/reinstall msmq.
While you are researching, get control of the box. It is no use to wait for days for a simple reboot. As soon you got everything running, hand it back.
Regards. Gertjan

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Looking at the file you uploaded, you have a lot of errors opening various MSMQs (which is causing the journaling and storage service to fail, thus no jouranling).

What do you see when you open computer management, look at the MSMQ section and select "Private Queues"?

One of the MSMQ errors states :
"The computer specified cannot be found.  [0xc00e000d] "

Please run the following SQL query against the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, and post the result here:

SELECT * FROM StorageServiceEntry

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Frank

MichelZ
Level 6
Or you could re-install MSMQ completely: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284452.htm

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

Here are the results for the query

138041AEAD6018347A5B04394B5272DAA1e10000vaultsite,1189CFA1EFAF8CE40AE283EAD26985CE51410000vaultsite,165E4A1A3F9FEC944AFD8F6853445054D1d10000vaultsite,Enterprise Vault Storage Service,,PRIVATE=f24d5d84-7cb1-497e-aeab-b941fbc80f92\00000011,PRIVATE=f24d5d84-7cb1-497e-aeab-b941fbc80f92\00000012,,,1,0,5,1,1,1,1,1,30,,0,0,0,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,,0,50,

Thanks for taking the time and looking at this,

Wim

MichelZ
Level 6
Another thing, not sure, but this sounds bad, too: 26/03/2009,20:13:14,Enterprise Vault ,Warning,Directory Service ,13384,N/A,SRV154,"Database Service: Creating the DSN attribute 'Trusted_Connection' failed and was not set to 'yes' Did you rename the server or something like this? By the way, is this a test system, or a live one? If it's a live one, then it's probably time to open a case with SYMC ;)

Wim_De_Cat
Level 3
Partner
I tried re-installing it, even recreated everything from scratch. really at a loss here for whats wrong.