cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Enterprise Vault to different VLAN

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

Can anyone please let me know what area that I need to configure and pay attention to when migrating the Enterprise Vault 9.0.4 R1 servers from one VLAN to another VLAN ?

The target AD, Exchange and File Server will also be moved to different VLAN (totally different IP addressing). I assume that as long as the DNS has been changed accordingly then it should be working fine.

Any thoughts and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Just general networking and connectivity, if your EV servers can connect to the file servers with windows explorer, you're good If your servers can connect to Microsoft SQL server you're good If your outlook can connect to exchange etc, you'll be ok Really EV just uses existing components in windows and MAPI so there shouldn't be any surprises when you can't connect etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Set EV in backup mode before migrating, then backup!

When migrated, run the deployment-scanner. When ok, EV should not have issues.

Regards. Gertjan

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

As long as you update your DNS records or local resolution to reflect the new IP Addresses and you make sure that there is network connectivity betwwen EV and SQL, storage and Exchange servers, you shouldn't have any connectivity issues after migrating the server to the new vlan. Also, confirm that the firewall configuration is still the same.

I hope this helps.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After movement of servers just run USL (Update service location) from EV console (open VAC\Expand Enterprise vault, right click and select 'update service location) then clear backup mode.
Check if you storage is accessible if it is network device with requirred ports open.

Once you move File server, exchange, EV & SQL server to different VLAN then you can run few test such outook connectivity from EV to exchange, client to exchange+retrive/archive/restore emails, access FS via UNC path.

Ran Deployment scanner, keep checking event viewer log.

If you ISA / Firewall for external EV + Exchange usage, just make sure route mapping is correctly functioning.

I assume you are not making any changes in internal firewall so open/close ports status would same as it was for existing VLAN. If you any load balancer between exchange & EV then check MAPI optimization is turned off (as this situation came on surface with one other customer).

Then you are good to go

11 REPLIES 11

JesusWept3
Level 6
Just general networking and connectivity, if your EV servers can connect to the file servers with windows explorer, you're good If your servers can connect to Microsoft SQL server you're good If your outlook can connect to exchange etc, you'll be ok Really EV just uses existing components in windows and MAPI so there shouldn't be any surprises when you can't connect etc

John_Santana
Level 6

ok so in this case:

EV servers can connect to the file servers with windows explorer, you're good

Port 445 (SAMBA)

If your servers can connect to Microsoft SQL server you're good

Port 1433 (SQL Server)

If your outlook can connect to exchange etc, you'll be ok

This is rather complex since I don't know the RPC port that is used between the Outlook and Exchange Client Access Server / Mailbox Role.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Surely just replicate the existing connections and routes and ports of the existing vlan??

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Set EV in backup mode before migrating, then backup!

When migrated, run the deployment-scanner. When ok, EV should not have issues.

Regards. Gertjan

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

As long as you update your DNS records or local resolution to reflect the new IP Addresses and you make sure that there is network connectivity betwwen EV and SQL, storage and Exchange servers, you shouldn't have any connectivity issues after migrating the server to the new vlan. Also, confirm that the firewall configuration is still the same.

I hope this helps.

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks all for the clarification.

John_Santana
Level 6

Gabe, from between the old and the new VLAN, there will be no firewall changes, so assuming only the IP address changes, then it should all be fine I guess.

Does the Outlook connectivity testing from the EV server to the mailbox cluster is sufficient to test ? as well as the Windows Explorer UNC path for the FSA is enough as well ?

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After movement of servers just run USL (Update service location) from EV console (open VAC\Expand Enterprise vault, right click and select 'update service location) then clear backup mode.
Check if you storage is accessible if it is network device with requirred ports open.

Once you move File server, exchange, EV & SQL server to different VLAN then you can run few test such outook connectivity from EV to exchange, client to exchange+retrive/archive/restore emails, access FS via UNC path.

Ran Deployment scanner, keep checking event viewer log.

If you ISA / Firewall for external EV + Exchange usage, just make sure route mapping is correctly functioning.

I assume you are not making any changes in internal firewall so open/close ports status would same as it was for existing VLAN. If you any load balancer between exchange & EV then check MAPI optimization is turned off (as this situation came on surface with one other customer).

Then you are good to go

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The EV hidden message contains the DNS name of the Enterprise Vault server. Thus, updating the DNS records should be enough for Outlook connectivity with the EV cluster. For the file server, if you have access from the EV server to the file server through UNC (using NetBIOS and DNS), you shouldn't have any issues.

John_Santana
Level 6

yes man, that does make sense.

No, this is just migrating the Server with Phyiscal RDM (LUN) attached to it into different Data Center.

John_Santana
Level 6

Gertjan,

Setting the EV in backup mode and then turn off the EV VM is that correct ?