cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move EV data from NetApp Ontap to a cheaper storage

Veritas_Resolve
Level 4
Hi Team,

Need your view and openion on the following.
We are being charged a lot for the NetApp storage and hence our management has decided to move the data to a cheaper storage. Can someone please recommend a way to do so? Also which would be a better storage option in this case?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

is possible what?

If you want to use collect and migrate, I would configure that to start with the oldest items (on the Vault Store Partition, properties, Collections tab, select 'collect files older than', set it so you collect oldest files). Set the collection times outside of your archiving window. If you want to migrate, tab migration. Use migrator Enterprise Vault. Select location (other storage location). Migrate files older than 1 day (or a week), and remove collections from primary storage after 1 day.

Be advised this is an irreversible process! once switched on, you cannot (within EV) move the migrated files back. it can perhaps be done by sql hacking, but that is not supported. You might want to discuss with support/consultant.

moving 800 tb completely to other storage is going to be a PITA, but doable.. There might be migration tools which can assist (storage migration tools that is), but that is up to you. I would read KB articles, check with support, talk to a consultant, and perform a test migration of a single partition of a Vault Store Partition, so you get an idea of performance and how it works.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA

Hello,

You have 2 options. 1 - move the complete partition somewhere else. 2 - start using Collections.

for 1, see https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016652.html

for 2, the process is collect and migrate. In short, the archived data files (dvs, dvssc etc) will be put in cabfiles (10MB advised), and then those cabfiles will be migrated to 'somewhere else'. the files put in the cabfile will be removed from the original location after an x-amount of time. This does have some impact on retrieving items, but not noticable as far as I am concernd. If you already use collection, then enable migration.

As for storage device, antything in the compatibility guide can be used. NTFS probably is the best option, but depends on the requirements for that storage.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you for your reply GertjanA.

We have around 800 TB of data do you think its still possible?

GertjanA

is possible what?

If you want to use collect and migrate, I would configure that to start with the oldest items (on the Vault Store Partition, properties, Collections tab, select 'collect files older than', set it so you collect oldest files). Set the collection times outside of your archiving window. If you want to migrate, tab migration. Use migrator Enterprise Vault. Select location (other storage location). Migrate files older than 1 day (or a week), and remove collections from primary storage after 1 day.

Be advised this is an irreversible process! once switched on, you cannot (within EV) move the migrated files back. it can perhaps be done by sql hacking, but that is not supported. You might want to discuss with support/consultant.

moving 800 tb completely to other storage is going to be a PITA, but doable.. There might be migration tools which can assist (storage migration tools that is), but that is up to you. I would read KB articles, check with support, talk to a consultant, and perform a test migration of a single partition of a Vault Store Partition, so you get an idea of performance and how it works.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you for your help.