Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Vault Cache from to new PC EV8

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi @ all,

is it possible to copy the Vault Cache from one PC to an new one to aviod synching it again?
I found a technote but is is for EV7 and Customer told me it does not work this way.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87073&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Colleague mentioned that it might be necessary to copy the RegKeys to the new PC?

has anybody tried this already?
Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Technically its not supported and has been one of those pending things that will eventually be gotten round to eventually, however the vault cache sync really isn't that big of a deal anymore with downloading the PST's and what not directly from the server.

But regardless, theres a couple of things with the technote, yeah you would have to implement the registry keys, copy across the files, but if using Vista or Windows 7 the paths would have to be updated

But there may be other factors such as anything in the hidden messages that might dictate states of the vault cache etc that wouldn't be replicated

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Technically its not supported and has been one of those pending things that will eventually be gotten round to eventually, however the vault cache sync really isn't that big of a deal anymore with downloading the PST's and what not directly from the server.

But regardless, theres a couple of things with the technote, yeah you would have to implement the registry keys, copy across the files, but if using Vista or Windows 7 the paths would have to be updated

But there may be other factors such as anything in the hidden messages that might dictate states of the vault cache etc that wouldn't be replicated

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

As JW2 says it was one of the things that was originally scoped out of the EV 8 release of Vault Cache.  It hasn't made it's way back to the top of the pile yet.

It is *possible* to copy the data from one PC to another.  There is no documented way to do this though.

Regarding the hidden messages, they're stored in the mailbox, so you're good on that front.

Working for cloudficient.com

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

thank you both , Ill give this over to the Customer.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Might apply, although I doubt it.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87073

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Moving VC would be different to this, but not "dis-similar".

Working for cloudficient.com

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi

got response from the Customer. the RegKey trick worked.

here the info i gave him over:

---------------------------------

What could be a possibility (additionally to the Technote above) is copying the Registry Keys from the old to the new Machine.

On WinXP they are as far as I know under:

HK CurrentUser/Software/KVS

HK LocalMachine/Software/KVS

On Win7/64bit:

HK CurrentUser/Software/KVS

HK LocalMachine/wow6432node/Software/KVS

If you move from XP to Win7 you might have to copy the Keys from the XP Location to the Win7 Location mentioned above

If the path does not exist it is not necessary to copy.

-----------------------

Answer:

Well the registry trick worked J

I just successfully transferred the virtual cache from my laptop to my test desktop.

I did some quick tests :

• Open an email with attachments from Vault when connected to LAN : no problem
  • Open an email with attachments from Vault when disconnected from LAN : no problem
  • Restore an email from Vault when connected to LAN : no problem
  • Store an email in Vault when connected to LAN : no problem (status changed to archiving pending so I have to wait for the next archiving run to check)

---------------------- 

jipiyey! thanks!