cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving archived mail from one mailbox to another

Phil_T1
Level 3

Hi,

We have a situation where we have had to create a new version of an existing mailbox.  The new mailbox is recieving mail destined for the old one, and we need to decommision the old mailbox.  However, the old mailbox was vault-enabled and had about 40GB of archived mail.  Is there an easy (or not so easy) way of moving that archived mail (really the stubs) into the new mailbox?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes, two things however

1. When exporting tell it to split PSTs by Retention Category

2. Set a ten GB limit on the PST file size, there is a bug where if you tell it to not have a limit, that it just gets to 20gb, doesn't roll over the PST file and just throws errors that the PST is full for each item

3. When importing the PST file to the new archive, make sure to tell it to Merge the folder structure, otherwise you will end up with duplicate emails in the archive

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Best thing to do is to disable the old mailbox for archiving, then enable the new mailbox for archiving and during the enable archive wizard, select the existing archive Now any new email will be archived to the existing archive, and then for the stubs, export the archive in the vault admin console and then reimport the PST file and tell it to create shortcuts, then it will place all the shortcuts back in to the mailbox but will not create any duplicates Only concern is 40gb of email will create a significant amount of shortcuts

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can export the archive to PST and then import to the new mailbox. To do this just right click archives in the left pane of the Admin Console and follow the wizard.

Phil_T1
Level 3

Hi both, thanks very much for the info - you both say to do the same thing (as far as I can tell) which is a good thing!

Just so I have the process straight in my mind I will

1. Disable the current mailbox within the EV console

2. Enable the new mailbox for archiving - during this process I will get prompted for a location for the archive, and I will choose the archive that already exists for the old mailbox

3. Export the old archive to a PST file

4. Import the old archive into the new mailbox within the EV Console, and during the process select to create shortcuts.

Do I have this right?

Cheers.

Phil

JesusWept3
Level 6

Yes, two things however

1. When exporting tell it to split PSTs by Retention Category

2. Set a ten GB limit on the PST file size, there is a bug where if you tell it to not have a limit, that it just gets to 20gb, doesn't roll over the PST file and just throws errors that the PST is full for each item

3. When importing the PST file to the new archive, make sure to tell it to Merge the folder structure, otherwise you will end up with duplicate emails in the archive