cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving archives of deleted account.

Danish_A
Level 4

I have one user whose account and mailboxes have been deleted which was enabled for archiving and now new account has been created for him.

User wants to access his old archived emails, I will enable archiving on his new mailbox within the same vault store but i do not want to just give access to his new account on his old archive.

I want to move the contents of his old archive to the newly created archive, can I use move archive option, please let me know which option to be used in move archive. 

Also, Please let me know that move archive option (or) Exporting and Importing as PST file will be the best for my scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chau_Tran
Level 4

What you should have done when you enable his new mailbox for EV is to re-link his archive. When you enable his account you should choose the archive that had already existed rather than cerate a new archive for him.

What I would suggest is disable his account now and then delete his current archive (if it's still empty, if not export it to PST first). Then re-enable it manually, during the enable process click on select the user's old archive (on the bottom right of the enable wizard). That should resolve your issue.

Hope that helps.

Chau

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chau_Tran
Level 4

What you should have done when you enable his new mailbox for EV is to re-link his archive. When you enable his account you should choose the archive that had already existed rather than cerate a new archive for him.

What I would suggest is disable his account now and then delete his current archive (if it's still empty, if not export it to PST first). Then re-enable it manually, during the enable process click on select the user's old archive (on the bottom right of the enable wizard). That should resolve your issue.

Hope that helps.

Chau

Chau_Tran
Level 4

oh, btw, you can't use move archive because both archives are in the same vault store. Alternative you can export his old archive to PST then import the content to his new archive and then delete the old archive (if need be).

What version of EV are you running?

Danish_A
Level 4

Dear Chau,

Thanks for the update.

We are running EV 9.0.3 on Exchange 2007.

I haven't yet enabled user's new mailbox for archiving so I would like do the same as suggested of selecting the users existing archive instead of creating new archive for him.

Just for clarification:

Since the user is accessing new mailbox so if I select his old archive while enabling the user for archiving then will the shortcuts also be available to him for the already archived mails (deleted account) in his outlook.

Regards,

Danish  

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, the user won't have shortcuts as those are going to be in the old exchange mailbox, which as you said has been deleted. 

The user can use Archive Explorer, Search, Virtual Vault or you can recreate the shortcuts if you have to. 

Chau_Tran
Level 4

Hi Danish,

No, the shortcut won't exist as the user will have had a new mailbox. What you need to do once you have done the steps above is to perform a restore the archive to the original mailbox and then re-archive manually the mailbox to create the shortcuts. That's one way of recreating the shortcuts in the user's new mailbox.

Regards,

Chau

Danish_A
Level 4

Dear's,

Should I first disable archiving for the old deleted account and then enable archiving on new mailbox selecting his old archive which already exists (or) should I staright forward go and enable archiving on new mailbox selecting his old archive which already exists. 

Chau_Tran
Level 4

There are quite a few ways of doing this.

The way I would do it is as follows:

1 - Export the old archive to PST (make backup of the PSTs just in case).

2- Enable the user witth new mailbox and new archive (as if you would enable a normal user)

3- Once the above is done, import the PST back into the archive on the EV admin console, during the import wizard process choose to create EV shortcuts in the user's mailbox (you can choose to create the EV shortcuts in the root folder or under a folder such as Archived or something like that).

4- Test that everything is working OK then delete the old archive. Check the you have a backup of the exported PST just in case.

Hope that's OK.

Chau_Tran
Level 4

3- Once the above is done, import the PST back into the newly created archive on the EV admin console,