cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5 + Enterprise Vault 8.0 - Backup! Help!

guidoangelo_ing
Level 2
Partner

Hi Gurus I'm having troubles integrating NetBackup 6.5 with our brand new Enterprise Vault 8.0 (just migrated from version 7.5).

Our environment can be explained as follows:

- EV Server Windows 2k3 SP2

- EV 8.0.0.1405 (for Microsoft Exchange 2003)

- NB Server Windows 2k3 SP2

- NB 6.5.1

We have a NetBackup policy called FRG_EV_FS whose selections for file system entries are:

- EV Cache, Services (Shopping and Indexing), Vault Stores, Shadow Copy Components.

Following the documentation and variuos posts/articles, I've realized to place the two scripts (PRE and POST backup scripts) in the  following location on the EV server where the NB client is installed:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin

PRE BACKUP SCRIPT (filename: bpstart_notify.FRG_EV_FS.bat)

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Default Group' -evservername evserver01 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-indexlocationbackupmode evserver01}"

POST BACKUP SCRIPT (filename: bpend_notify.FRG_EV_FS.bat)

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Default Group' -evservername evserver01 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-indexlocationbackUpmode evserver01}"

There is (since it can not be done in only one backup policy, is it really true?) also another policy that backups SQL Server entries, whose name is FRG_EV_DB and it should backup EV DBs (trough a script created with the NetBackup SQL Server agent). It seems to work well and I'm reporting it for completness purposes only.

The above scripts "bpstart and bpend for FRG_EV_FS" works fine while executed from command line but produces many errors on the EV server side when the NB policy get executed from schedules es.:

Event ID: 4216

Access denied. User is not in a role that allows '{STO} Can manage Vault Store Backup Mode'.
User: 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'

Event ID: 7046

Event ID: 4216

Access denied. User is not in a role that allows '{IDX} Can manage Index Location Backup Mode'.
User: 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'

Event ID: 8391

The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryService object reported an error.
General access denied error.

There are also many others events like: 8390, 4216, 7082.

The question is:

Is it the right way (apparently not) to do backups of EV 8.0 using NetBackup? What I'm missing?

It seems a permission issue, how we can get rid of it?

There is someone here on the net that can help us to get the backup job done? How?

All the best!

Guido

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have personally no experience with the netbackup agent but it would appear from the errors that whatever credentials are being used to run these commands that particular user does not have the correct access.

Use the VSA as the account and see if it all works. If so then the account that you want to use needs to be given the relevant group membership mentioned within RBA.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I have personally no experience with the netbackup agent but it would appear from the errors that whatever credentials are being used to run these commands that particular user does not have the correct access.

Use the VSA as the account and see if it all works. If so then the account that you want to use needs to be given the relevant group membership mentioned within RBA.

guidoangelo_ing
Level 2
Partner

Hi Paul, thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that starting the "NetBackup Client Service" on EV Server with VSA account solved the issue (probably I could not be started with User: 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM').

I've just another question related to backups: 

Is it correct to split backup jobs one for SQL DBs (using the SQL Server NetBackup agent) and the other for EV Server file system?

What about data integrity between file system entries and DBs?

The DBs backup must be taken when the vault stores and indexes are in backupmode?

Thanks.

Guido

GuruPrasadNS
Level 4

You will need to schedule both the policies one behind the other. But for bpend script, configure it to be used by the late completing policy, this is usually the FS policy.

guidoangelo_ing
Level 2
Partner

Thank you!