cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation of EV v7.5

Popolou
Level 4
Hey all,

Could do with a little troubleshooting with our new install of EV within our organisation please guys.

Installation went fine and Deployment Scanner reported all ok. There is a seperate account for EV that is currently working as expected and the caults and partitions have been set up alright too.

Trouble is, when going into enable mailboxes, there are none listed. However, when going into disable mailboxes, all the 'boes within the exchange organisation are listed just fine. When disabling just one, it still refuses to list under the Enable Mailboxes dialog box.

Checking the reports folder shows that 24 mailboxes have been installed and subsequent reports show the same number updated.

Running the provisioning task seems to happen without any apparent feedback and for some reason, the Exchange column lists the entry as N/A whereas the mailbox task correctly lists the Exchange server computer name.

Subsequent "run now" events do not update the mailboxes and it seems that they are not touched by EV. If it helps, the Welcome Message was not sent (if it was meant to automatically that is).

Is there a permissions problem? TBH, everything checks out and have had no errors at any stage yet this small hiccup has me stumped.

Many thanks,

Popolou
6 REPLIES 6

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi
1. How do you are adding users to provisioning group (whole org, group, user)?
2. please check the last report when run provisioning group for errors
3.  When you look in disable mailbox list, what is the status of mailboxes ?

Regards
Daniel R

Popolou
Level 4
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your input. As per your layout: -

1. Initially, users where added via the "Whole Exchange Organisation". When i noticed problems, i troubleshooted with a single mailbox and the results turned out to be the same.

2. The last report is error free as copied below: -

Provisioning Group Summary:

Domain Provisioning Group:
Mailboxes added: 24
Mailboxes updated: 0
Mailboxes relinked: 0
Mailboxes ignored because already processed: 0
Provisioning targets that returned no mailboxes: 0
Users without a mailbox: 0
New mailboxes ignored because of existing entries in the Enterprise Vault database: 0
Journal mailboxes found: 0
Users with mailboxes outside the current domain: 0
Users whose mailboxes were not synchronized: 0
Errors: 0

The above was the last provisioning report from when i decided to remove the existing vault and exchange targets and recreate the items (There is a small chunk preceeding the summary relating to the details of the mailboxes themselves that i cut out from the copy/paste). The addition of the mailboxes always seemed to succeed.

3. When i disabled the mailbox and a breif pause for the action to complete, it confirmed that the 'boxes were removed. However, on re-entering the Disable Mailboxes screen, they reappear and are not transfered to the Enable Mailboxes screen.

When further analysing the issue i noticed that of the two tasks currently listed, the Provisioning Task completes fine as below: -

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Exchange Provisioning Task
Event ID: 41105
Date:  12/28/2007
Time:  11:20:13 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: AGENCY
Description:
The Exchange mailbox provisioning task has completed in report mode.

Task: Exchange Provisioning Task for Office.XXXX.
Domain: Office.XXXX

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

However when the Mailbox Archive Task runs just after, it fails with the following error: -

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 3356
Date:  12/28/2007
Time:  11:23:20 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: AGENCY
Description:
Enterprise Vault cannot process this Exchange Server because none of the users on this server has been processed by the provisioning task.

Do the following:

1. Ensure that provisioning groups have been defined.
2. Run the provisioning task.
3. Run mailbox synchronization/archiving again.

Exchange Server: 'EXCHANGE'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

This is all rather odd as the previous provisioning run completes fine and the mailbox archive task raises an Event ID 3157 acknowledging the mailbox archive process is about to run. It just fails quoting the event ID of 3356 as above.

It seems that EV is not processing the mailbox information correctly and am now unsure where to look for the problem.

Update: I've noticed that running the providiong task repeatedly rediscovers the mailboxes with EV considering them as newly added. Would this point to an SQL problem?

Regards

Popolou

Message Edited by Popolou on 12-28-2007 04:02 AM

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
The provisioning task stated that it is in report mode.

The Exchange mailbox provisioning task has completed in report mode.
Verify that report mode is not checked in the task and that it does run in Normal mode.

Jim S.

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I assume that you have two provisioning group (whole exchange organization and one single user).  After that you runing repeatedly provisioning task it show the single user but new and not like mailbox with status disabled, is it ok?  Other cuestion how many mailboxes do you have?

I think that you should see more mailbox in enable mailbox dialog box if not you have an issue of security permissions beetwen provisioning groups and AD.

Popolou
Level 4
Well, chalk one up to user error again. I incorrectly assumed that running the processes in report mode was similar to normal mode but with further diagnostic information beyond that reported under normal mode.

It seems that report mode is indeed just that...... running it normally has showed that the install works fine. Emergency over!

Thanks chaps. Been experimenting with ev over the last few days and feel i'm progressing well since this hiccup.

Regards

Pop

Popolou
Level 4
Thanks Jim, my bad. After the last few days of reading the PDF's on preparation and installation, i just needed to get stuck in with EV and hadn't interpreted Report Mode correctly.

Cheers,

Pop