cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRootDirectory Question

christiandeg
Level 3

We are configuring Enterprise Vault in a mixed environment where users both use workstations, laptops or citrix. Using the different topics on this forums we managed to get the appropriate setting to enable the virtual vault on citrix using registry settings at the HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise vault\Client level.

We only have one issue left related to the OVRootDirecotry.
Since the local profiles are removed after logoff on citrix we need to store the vault file under an alternative location.

However setting OVRootDirecotory under HKLM does not seem to have any effect.
When Outlook is started and HKCU settings are created for EV and OVRootDirectory is set to C:\users\username\appdata\local\kvs\enterprise vault\ and this setting appears to take precedence over the HKLM setting.

This setting should only be applied on certain citrix servers so working with policies is no option.

Only workaround I found so far is running a script that replaces the OVRootDirectory under HKCU, which is not a perfect solution yet since user only has correct settings after the second logon...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

christiandeg
Level 3

What the script actually does is search for the existing OVRoot setting and replace that with another path.

As far as I know it is not possible to "preset" the value, if you create the value at the level HKCU\Software\Kvs\Enterprise Vault\Client my experience is that it is overruled when Outlook is first started and the VaultCacheStoreID keys are set, including a value for OVRoot to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\

So my workaround for the moment is to use a script which modifies that value during the next login...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So if you set OVROOT under HKCU by a login script....  why does that need a second login for it to work?

Working for cloudficient.com

christiandeg
Level 3

What the script actually does is search for the existing OVRoot setting and replace that with another path.

As far as I know it is not possible to "preset" the value, if you create the value at the level HKCU\Software\Kvs\Enterprise Vault\Client my experience is that it is overruled when Outlook is first started and the VaultCacheStoreID keys are set, including a value for OVRoot to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\

So my workaround for the moment is to use a script which modifies that value during the next login...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yep you're right it looks from the comments in the code that you might have used to have been able to set this at the "Client" level, in the days of Offline Vault perhaps.  Then, with the advent of Vault Cache, and the Store key, it's moved to that location.  So we check for the OVRootDirectory value under the store key, and if it's not there we look at the Desktop policy settings, and onwards.

There isn't currently a way around this that I can see.

Working for cloudficient.com