cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle ZFS and FSA Archiving

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

I am curious if anyone has setup FSA for an Oracle ZFS appliance for CIFS. I am attempting to set it up but am running into some access is denied issues with reading the volume information during setup. 

Any insight would be helpful is anyone has set one up before.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

no, that's actually the standard method. it's not a workaround or anything if that's what you're thinking.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AndrewB

i havent personally but i'd recommend posting any logs or errors that you're getting for us to look at.

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

The error that came up during the adding of a volume point was the following:

Could not read the volume information for
\\path.domain.com\sharename.

Reason: An expected network error occurred.

Check that the File Server is available and that you hvae the correct permissions to access the device.

I attempted a DTrace on the MMC and EVFSA options and no errors came up. The service account has full control at the share level and the NTFS level for that sharename. 

Thanks.

AndrewB

what's the exact version of EV that you're running? there are some caveats in the Compatibility Charts around EV 8, 9 and 10 so have a look to make sure it's supported with your version before we get too far along.

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

The version is 10.2. The compatibility list has the ZFS marked as compatible as a storage location for archived data, but not specifically listed as target. But the compatibility says that it just needs to be a CIFS NTFS compliant device as a target, which it technically is.

AndrewB

in that case you need to map the share via a windows server with the FSA agent installed. you cant add it directly from the storage device.

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

Are there any limitations when archiving the content in that fashion?

AndrewB

no, that's actually the standard method. it's not a workaround or anything if that's what you're thinking.

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

Do I have to do anything special with the drive mapping as a Windows share? It's not like I can share a drive that is a mapped drive.

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

Is there something that needs to be done besides those steps to see a mapped drive and configure as a volume? It's not possible to share a mapped drive and when setting up a Volume, it does not show up.

AndrewB

you are correct. the drive needs to be attached in a way that acts like a local drive to the server so you can share it out. FC, iSCSI, etc. not a network drive.

AndrewB

you are correct. the drive needs to be attached in a way that acts like a local drive to the server so you can share it out. FC, iSCSI, etc. not a network drive.