cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2007 hangs when opening archived EV email

Steve_Phillips1
Level 3

I have 3 users out of ~20 deployed that have this issue.  They are all running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Outlook 2007 x32, and EV client v10.  If they go to open an archived email, Outlook will go catatonic and the CPU usage maxes out.  The memory usage does change tho...

If I reset the EV client, uninstall/reinstall the EV client, delete and recreate the Exchange profile, or even reset IE, the problem goes away temporarily, but it always comes back within an hour.  The only way to get Outlook back is to kill it with Task Manager.

The client can browse https://servername.fqdn.com/EnterpriseVault just fine.

I'm thinking about backdating the client to 9.0.3 and seeing if they can use that.  But Id prefer to get this fixed in v10 if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what happens if you disable them from using Vault Cache?
The main amount of work just seems to be doing a Vault Cache synchronization for the headers (The MDC file), typically i've seen that blow things up when the AntiVirus is continually scanning it (such as McAffee that has its outlook plugin scanning the whole time) and when you have Instant Search (WDS) enabled and its indexing each item as it gets downloaded

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what happens if you disable them from using Vault Cache?
The main amount of work just seems to be doing a Vault Cache synchronization for the headers (The MDC file), typically i've seen that blow things up when the AntiVirus is continually scanning it (such as McAffee that has its outlook plugin scanning the whole time) and when you have Instant Search (WDS) enabled and its indexing each item as it gets downloaded

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Very odd, I can see that your client works out that the item IS in your vault cache data and makes a call to CDesktop::PVOpenItem to get it.. but then goes in to some sort of (crazy) loop.

I'd suggest the same as JW2, set OVEnabled = 0, and VVEnabled = 0, and try again.

Working for cloudficient.com

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did disabling OV and VV help?

I know this is less than ideal but it is an important step to isolate the issue from tehse components.

Conversely, if you figured it out and resolved the issue... please post it here and mark it as such.

Thanks

Steve_Phillips1
Level 3

Would it make sense to exclude the VC directory from AV scanning?

Steve_Phillips1
Level 3

Sorry for the lates response, getting one of my employees to give me their laptop for troubleshooting took some time.  They're sooooo busy ;)

Anyways, I have disabled VC.  VV was never enabled.  As this error wouldn't manifest itself until a while after the EV Client was started, I've instructed both my test cases to open archived items every half hour to see if the problem recurrs.  I'll post the results soon so we can either figure out how to get VC working or move to plan b.

Thanks

Steve

Steve_Phillips1
Level 3

Disabling VC fixed the problem with Outlook hanging...so how would you suggest I proceed with getting VC to work without hanging Outlook?

Thanks

Steve

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you check to see if you had AV scanning enabled and Instant search indexing going to see if that could be related? Filemon will also show file activity.

If you are unable to really sus it out, I would start a case and get the technician to collect Everything they could want while you have the client as it will be challenging to get it later. I would go nuts and collect client logs, dtrace, fiddler logs, , IIS logs, and filemon... , ,while recording the entire thing.

That may be excessive... but I think if you have isolated that VC is responsible for your CPU spike, You are on the latest client for your version, you have all the best practices in place (like AV and indexing and such), and you still have an issue with the client thrashing... support needs to know about it ... and if identifyable and reproducible...ENG too.

Glad you narrowed the focus of the issue.