Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST folder only visible in Archive Explorer

bjorn_b
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello

I haven't experienced this before; my imported PST files is visible in a "PST Files" folder on the root level in Archive Explorer, but not in Outlook. 

I have scrolled through the admin guide and the forum, but haven't found anything about this.

The PST Migration Policy is set to (under shortcut creation) to archive the files into the "PST Files" folder.

Extra question: If you have multiple PST files, will these be separated under the PST Import folder? In my case this could be one PST file pr year, so the folder structure should ideally be:

PST Files
  |-Project A
  |-Project B
  |-Project A
  |-Project C

Any help appreciated :)

/bjorn

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What process did you use to import the pst?

Did you choose the option to create shortcuts in the mailbox?

Yes, you can have multiple directories for each PST, if you are using the wizard for example you would choose to not have the file directories merged.

Some useful links:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-v80-pst-migration-part-1-solution-overview

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-v80-pst-migration-part-2-tools-depth

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-v80-pst-migration-part-3-planning-tech-tips-and-best-practice

even if you are EV 9 the basics of the docs still apply.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You may also find out some useful information in the reports / logs which were generated during the import phase.

Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you need anything else with this issue?

bjorn_b
Level 6

I have done it like this:

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Using that policy it *should* be making shortcuts appear in Outlook so you should have a PST Files folder at the same level as the Inbox, and then subfolders should be present under PST Files.

If not.. then it's possible that an error was generated during the PST Import.

With regards to the other question, you won't get folders per year.

bjorn_b
Level 6

What is strange, is that I can see the "PST Files" folder in Archive Explorer but not in Outlookk. Is there a way to 'sort of' recreate this?

regarding my second question: Even if they are divided into one PST file pr. year? 

/bjorn

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, no I don't think that there is.

Second question - yes that would work.. basically the migrator will take the folder structure of EACH PST and drop it under "PST Files".  So if you have a PST that has a top level folder called 1999, and then subfolders under it for different projects and what-not.. then that's what will be put under PST Files.  If you then have another PST which has a top level folder called 2000, same thing, so you'll now have :-

PST Files

\ 1999

....  lots of folders

\ 2000

... lots of folders

However if you then encounter another PST which has a top level folder called "ProjectX", it'll ruin your nice structure, and you'll have \1999, \2000, and \ProjectX.

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Bjorn

Did you get an answer to for why the PST Files folder is not created within Outlook.

I am having the same issue with the folder being available in outlook explorer but not in Outlloo.

I am calling my folder Archives but doubt that will make a difference

SP

bjorn_b
Level 6

No, I didn't. 

I did another installation a couple of weeks after this one. Did it the same way, and it worked.

/bjorn