Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Upgrade Question

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi All
I am doing a upgrade for a customer from version 6 to 7 to 7.5 and eventually 8 but at a later date
The question is when an upgrade is performed are the actaul vault archive files / Index files changed to a newer version

They have a number of closed partitions and about 10 TB of archives
The reason for this is that if they have to roll back they are estimating it will take 3 days to restore the data
While it will be quicker obviuosly to restore the server OS and SQL to the pre upgrade status from backups they are worried about time scales to backup and possible restore of the vault partitions on the SAN at each stage of the upgrade
My plan was to backup the servers and SQL and indexes before and after the upgrade to version 7 and after the upgrade to 7.5 but do the vaults actually change and require backing up each time

Thanks

SP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Nothing changes to the SaveSets / Indexes on an upgrade.  Backing up SQL is all that is needed....

MAKE SURE YOU PLACE EV INTO READ ONLY MODE, once you happy all was successful take it out that way the only thing that changes on an upgrade is the Database ;)

--wayne

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
The Storage format will not be updated. You should be safe with SQL & OS, but you should keep a backup of your vault stores handy, just in case.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Nothing changes to the SaveSets / Indexes on an upgrade.  Backing up SQL is all that is needed....

MAKE SURE YOU PLACE EV INTO READ ONLY MODE, once you happy all was successful take it out that way the only thing that changes on an upgrade is the Database ;)

--wayne

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Thanks Guys

As I thought it was but just wated to make sure

Cheers

SP