cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripted PST migration and Restrict shortcuts

cwapshere
Level 4

First: could someone clarify for me whether the Default PST Migration Policy is applied when you use a scripted PST migration?

If NOT: then how do you mimic the "Restrict shortcuts by age" part of the policy. So, I want to create shortcuts, but only for items younger than 2 years.

My ini file looks like this:

[Directory]
directorycomputername = <server>
sitename = <sitename>
[PSTdefaults]
PSTLanguage=Western European
servercomputername = <server>
MailboxFolder = Personal Archives
MigrationMode = PROCESS
IncludeDeletedItems = false
ShortcutMode = MailboxShortcuts
SetPSTHidden = false
SetPSTReadOnly = true
CompactPST = true
DeletePST = false
CancelMbxAutoArchive = true
;
; Individual PST migration settings
;
[PST]
fileName = <path>
ArchiveName = <user CN>
RetentionCategory = Business

Thanks,
Carol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 IIRC that is one option you cannot specify with EVPM, also it doesn't use the PST MIgration Policy.  Only Client Side and Server Driven (Locate, Collect, Migrate) uses the policy.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 IIRC that is one option you cannot specify with EVPM, also it doesn't use the PST MIgration Policy.  Only Client Side and Server Driven (Locate, Collect, Migrate) uses the policy.

cwapshere
Level 4
The reason I wanted to use scripted is because the migration will be phased and it seemed we'd have more control that way. The PSTs are all in predictable locations on a network share so I don't need to hunt around for them, and it is straight-forward to match them to users.

It seems to me that LCM just goes out and finds all the PSTs, whether I'm ready to migrate them or not. Is that right or have I completely misundertood the process?

Basically I want to choose the best way to stage this migration, while getting the settings I want. If there is a better way than scripted I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks,
Carol

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Unfortunately, you are correct. LCM just does what it wants to do... :( However, you could just use collect/migrate and leave out the locate part. You would have to insert the PST you want to migrate into the PstFile table. Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 Also check out the Articles section for Enterprise Vault on Connect - there are 3 whitepapers on PST migrations for EV8 - most of it also applies in EV2007 and below.

cwapshere
Level 4
Really, the question I asked is not covered in those whitepapers so why the RTFM response?

Carol

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
@cwapshere

There is no need to get snotty mate, people are here trying to help you.....

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
Perhaps because you asked this question in your last post.

"It seems to me that LCM just goes out and finds all the PSTs, whether I'm ready to migrate them or not. Is that right or have I completely misundertood the process? "

Someone else made a comment of LCM just does what it wants.

So I read that and think there is a misunderstanding of what you can do with LCM.

You can set the locate to only go out and search a single machine if that is what you want.
- It just returns a list of the PST's it found
It does not copy the PST's to the holding folder unless they have a "ready to copy" setting and the collector task is run.
-  So you are able to decide which PST's are collected and when.
It does not Migrate them until you set the PST to "Ready to Migrate"
- So even after collection, you still control when they are migrated and which ones.

So it allows you to control the ingestion of PST's in the way that you described.   Yes, it will find all the PSTs on the machine, but you don't have to do anything with those until you want.    One drawback is that it searches the entire machine selected and you can't specify just a folder.  But that may be something you can accept if your desire is to use the default policy settings you can't get with EVPM.

Keep in mind that other people read these posts and putting links or documents is also for their benefit as well as yours.  I don't think the intent was to tell you to "RTFM" , but to ensure that you had access if you didnt know.

cwapshere
Level 4
I was annoyed by the mysterious pending shortcuts problem I was grappling with at the time. Apologies for snottiness.

Carol

cwapshere
Level 4
All the PSTs are on a shared network drive, and when I did some early tests with LCM it did not find them. The share is coming from a SAN or some such device, so I don't know how to tell LCM to search it. If I could just give it the share name I'd be sorted.

Also, even if it did work, it would be difficult to identify who's PST belonged to who. I have not had much success with the "marking" method, though I didn't pursue it very far - all the PSTs are in folders corresponding to their user so identification is not the issue.

What I have done is to write a vbscript which takes the user's username as input. It then generates a .INI file for each of the PSTs that it finds in that user's PST folder (yes I know I could use a single INI file but the customer has some specific requests about the folders the PSTs should go into). I also do various other things like checking the user exists in AD and checking they have an archive already created (SQL lookup against Archives table). Finally it generates a batch file. Luckily EVPM will accept a share name.

The customer is pretty happy with this approach, but it does mean we will be creating shortcuts for all PST items, as I can't find a way to duplicate the "do not create shortcuts for items older than x" functionality.

Carol

francisvd
Level 4
Partner
Any solution to restrict shortcuts by age with the EVPM tool?
I'm having the exact same problem.

Michel mentions to insert the PST to be migrated into the PstFile table.
This sounds undocumented, but I'd like to try it. 
Any example for a valid SQL statement to insert these records into the PstFile table?

Will the Locator task still fill in the 'Ready to Copy' or 'Not Ready' (based on PST ownership) if we inject record directly into the PstFile table?

Thanks,

Francis