cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Journaling

KVS
Level 3

Hello Good People,

I am in the process of deploying EV11.01 in out Exchange 2007 environment and currently there is an Exchange journal store which is about 90GB. Can you please recommend the best possible way of starting archiving this mailbox.

If I just set up journaling and once the journaling task starts I am assuming EV will start archiving the entire mailbox and this will have impact of the performance of EV and Exchange. Is it posisble to start gradually archiving the mailbox then turn enable the mailbox as a journal.

Also would EV generate logs on Exchange servers during archiving process. I am aware there are storage and msmq queues caching on the EV server but not sure if there will be log generating at Exchange servers.

thanks and regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello KVS,

I would create a new Journal Mailbox in Exchange, then in EV create an archive for that, a task etc, and when that is all done, switch Journaling in Exchange to the new Journal Mailbox.

Have the 'old' (now inactive mailbox) archived by EV too. This way, you have a live journal mailbox which should stay 'in sync', and an old journal mailbox which is being emptied by EV. Once empty, you could switch the Journal Mailbox again, but there should not be a need to do so.

You will not see reports on the Journal Archiving, but you could monitor the old Journal Mailbox (via Outlook, or using Powershell) to see the number of items dropping.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if it has journal data then you must archive it as a journal from start to finish. based on the concerns you outline, what i'd recommend is breaking up that 90GB mailbox into multiple smaller mailboxes before you target them with EV. then you can gradually process 1 mailbox at a time 

KVS
Level 3

Hello Andrew,

The Journal mailbox is live in Exchange I am not sure breaking the mailbox is practical. How about if I archive the content gradually using different policy then once the mailbox reduced to reasonable size I can enable the jouranling.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello KVS,

I would create a new Journal Mailbox in Exchange, then in EV create an archive for that, a task etc, and when that is all done, switch Journaling in Exchange to the new Journal Mailbox.

Have the 'old' (now inactive mailbox) archived by EV too. This way, you have a live journal mailbox which should stay 'in sync', and an old journal mailbox which is being emptied by EV. Once empty, you could switch the Journal Mailbox again, but there should not be a need to do so.

You will not see reports on the Journal Archiving, but you could monitor the old Journal Mailbox (via Outlook, or using Powershell) to see the number of items dropping.

Regards. Gertjan