cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strip attachments from previously archived items

jfdezar
Level 2

Hi,

we have recently changed the "Strip attachments to non-shorcut items" setting from Off to On, as we found users who were exceeding their quota only with meeting requests and responses with attached files.The problem is that we have realized that the attached files in the previously archived items are not being removed, so we are not resolving our problem. I'm not sure if we are not being able to apply the Exchange Mailbox Policy correctly or if it's just not possible.

We use EV10.0 in a Windows Server 2008R2.

Thanks.

Javi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So I guess you could use the Archive Export process to restore the calendar item back to the mailbox, delete it from the archive.  Then set the IgnoreEVDates registry key and reprocess the mailbox to see if will archive the calendar items and strip the attachments.

This would be a manual\per archive process so not ideal but not sure you have too many options here.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

You can use this:

How to modify shortcut content without restoring archived items - RestoreShortcutBody

Article:TECH47364  |  Created: 2006-01-09  |  Updated: 2014-03-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH47364

jfdezar
Level 2

Thanks Tony for such a fast response.

That seems to be something that could work, but I refer to the "non-shorcut items", such as meeting requests and the response to these. This items are not converted to shorcuts, so I don't know if they would be affected by the RestoreShortcutBody. Could you confirm if it does or not?

Thanks again.

TonySterling

I am not 100% sure.  I would recommend to test with one user to see what the results were.

jfdezar
Level 2

Ok, thanks. I will make some tests and will tell you something.

jfdezar
Level 2

Hi,

I made some tests with the RestoreShortcutBody registry key, but it didn't work with the "non-shorcut items", the attached items are still in the original calendar item.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

TonySterling

So I guess you could use the Archive Export process to restore the calendar item back to the mailbox, delete it from the archive.  Then set the IgnoreEVDates registry key and reprocess the mailbox to see if will archive the calendar items and strip the attachments.

This would be a manual\per archive process so not ideal but not sure you have too many options here.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

this came up one time with a customer of mine who wanted to go back and delete voicemail attachments from emails. in the case of non-shortcut archived items, the solution required custom development. sounds like your scenario would be the same.