Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Theoretical] Restore database from one week old backup

Pixa
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

i have a theoretical question regarding Restore/Recovery.

How to deal with a problem if you have a disaster, and you only have a database backup that is a week old. The files on filesystem remain intact. When you restore what happens with items that have been archived during the active week.

And is there a way to recover from this kind of situation, or all items are lost even if they physically exist on some kind of storage.

Thanks !! :)

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/evsvr-utility

You may try the EVSVR utlity 

Pixa
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Wow, 

such a great answer i would never expect...

I know about the EVSVR, probably everyone who is using Evault knows about it. If u really wanted to help you could write how would you proceed with EVSVR to do what i asked about.

I did a test in my test environment, and i couldn't find an option in EVSVR that could help out.

Regards,

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Pixa,

In the utilities guide EVSVR is described, as Rahul indicates. In there, you might see that you can run first a verify, then a repair. The repair should recreate the missing database entries, based on what is found on the filesystem.

Even when doing this in a lab-environment, it might be worthwhile to call support. They most likely can advise on the exact settings you require.

Regards. Gertjan

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

I've actually done this more than once. It works. It is not the most entertaining thing in the world but it does work. I would strongly strongly recommend you be on EV10.0.x or later, and not on EV 8/9, as the pre-EV10 indexes will fail when the indexing service sees that the highest index sequence number on disk is higher than what is in the database. This is not a good situation to be in, and you may need to restore the indexes to a date earlier than the database backup point in order to move forward. So I hope your theoretical environment is on a more modern version of EV :)

I would also very strongly recommend anyone facing this scenario engage Symantec Support, as the meaning of some of the different EVSVR options might not be directly obvious and a choice such as "require an index entry" might seem of low consequence but could actually end up having a huge impact.

Pixa
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks on your answers Patti and Gertjan.

I have been reading through the EVSVR utilities guide (obviously not enough), but i can't seem to find an option for verifying or repairing this kind of situation.

I know that i should call the support in case of this kind of situation, but this is only a test, and  i'm very eager to find this out on my own and to have some experience in case of real life situation.

Anyways, thanks again....