cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theoretical question - full disk on EV server

David_standish
Level 5

OK, looking to validate an assumption I made based on this article,

Enterprise Vault (EV) services fail to start with the error: "The Enterprise Vault Archiving Service for EXCH1 service on Local Computer started and then stopped." (http://support.veritas.com/docs/284983)

In our organization, we have the requirement to provide seperate Vault Stores per business unit to keep their data isolated.  Each business unit must purchase the space they want to use, so we also had the goal of making sure that one unit could not impact another unit if they filled their space.  

So we went with a seperate mount point per office for their Vault Store.  (I know, not recommended, but we did extensive testing and have been running this configuration for several years successfully). The mount point is c:\data\UNIT1, c:\data\UNIT2, etc...   each mount point is a seperate volume on an iSCSI disk that is presented to the server.

We just had one office come close to filling the volume for their Vault Store.  It appears from the article that the Administration Service looks at the disks on a server to see if any are near capacity and then will not start the Administration Service if one is full.

My question is: Does the Administation Service only look at disks with drive letters assigned?  It appears you can configure it to only look at specific named drives.  In computer management, each of the mount points is a volume, but does not have a drive letter, so I did not know if it would sense that a volume without a drive letter is full.  If so, I need to configure and test the nomonitor setting.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6
I believe it will only look at disks with drive letter assigned and not recognize the mount point running out of space.  When/If it runs out of space EV would then have multiple issues not being able to write data.