cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Tough One :: Removing "Automatically Set" permissions

Akkim
Level 2

Okay - before everyone rushes in with the quick solutions... =)

1) We have checked all policies they are not currently set to allow Inherited Permissions, Synchronize Permissions is now OFF, and Include Default and Anonymous is set to OFF.

2) We have run the EVPM script to Zap Archive Permissions (multiple times). 

3) We have checked for permissions both in AD and Exchange as well as Outlook Delegation to try to justify these automatically set permissions and have found nothing.

4) The registry entry HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents\InclueInheritedRights is NOT present.

This server is running EV 7.5 SP 4

I have three Mailbox Vaults that have one of our Admins "Automatically Set" on them.  These three mailboxes all use policies that are used by hundreds of other users - the Admin isn't explicitly added to their vaults, AD accounts, Mailboxes or anything that other Admins aren't as well (all by Domain Admin groups, etc).

I've tried everything I can think of to remove the Admin from the vaults with no luck.  Using PermissionBrowser this is what I find ::

Control: SE_SELF_RELATIVE | SE_DACL_PRESENT

Owner:

SID: None

Group:

SID: None

Dacl:

Header:

AceType: ACCESS_ALLOWED_ACE_TYPE

AceFlags: CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE

Mask: 0x105BF

DV_DS_HIDE_FOLDER

DV_DS_DELETE_ARCHIVE

DV_DS_SEARCH_ARCHIVE

DV_DS_DELETE_FOLDER

DV_DS_ADD_FOLDER

DV_DS_READ_FOLDER

DV_DS_DELETE_ITEM

DV_DS_ADD_ITEM

DV_DS_READ_ITEM

Sid:

SID: S-1-5-21-2000478354-492894223-839522115-2356

Name: PermittedAdmin

DomainName: FRUSTRATED

Header:

AceType: ACCESS_ALLOWED_ACE_TYPE

AceFlags:

Mask: 0x4BF

DV_DS_HIDE_FOLDER

DV_DS_SEARCH_ARCHIVE

DV_DS_DELETE_FOLDER

DV_DS_ADD_FOLDER

DV_DS_READ_FOLDER

DV_DS_DELETE_ITEM

DV_DS_ADD_ITEM

DV_DS_READ_ITEM

Sid:

SID: S-1-5-21-2000478354-492894223-839522115-2634

Name: MailboxOwner

DomainName: FRUSTRATED

Anyone have any good suggestions / thoughts on how to purge these rights?  I know I can add explicit DENY rules, but the idea of cleaning up an environment doesn't really make me want to go in there and just slap some cover-up on this problem..

Thanks in advance,

--Micah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Emmett_Brown
Level 3

What did your EVPM script look like?

Maybe you were using the ArchivePermissions section instead of VaultPermissions... you must use VaultPermissions.  Check out:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280196.htm

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Emmett_Brown
Level 3

After zapping with EVPM, did all the permissions go away temporarily?  Until the next synchronization of course...

Akkim
Level 2

Nothing.. they're stuck in there good! =)

Like I said, I tried zapping a few times, synchronizing - everything I could think of and found in these forums.  It did clean up a few other vaults that had some issues with them, but this one tends to stick out.

--Micah

Emmett_Brown
Level 3

What did your EVPM script look like?

Maybe you were using the ArchivePermissions section instead of VaultPermissions... you must use VaultPermissions.  Check out:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280196.htm

Emmett_Brown
Level 3
If you check PermissionsBrowser right after you zap (before synch), you should see that all the permissions are gone.

Akkim
Level 2

I was under the impression that ArchivePermissions and ArchiveName replaced VaultName and VaultPermissions - in fact in my previous efforts, they were unsuccessful until I changed them from VaultName to VaultPermissions - at least it said that in the Help File.

Interestingly enough.. setting it back to VaultName - it seems to have cleared it.

So I'm a bit confused why it wouldn't work yesterday but works today.. either way - thanks =)

--Micah