cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 9.0.4

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Hello,

I'm finally ready to upgrade from Enterprise Vault 9.0.4 to 10.  I'm only using Vault for Exchange, and am using Backup Exec 2012 to backup my data.  Due to v9 running on 32-bit hardware, I was going to upgrade using the Server Settings Migration Wizard.  Clients are running the v9 Outlook add-in with Outlook 2010.  A few questions:

• I'm re-thinking going to 10.0.4.  Apparently there are known issues where Backup Exec 2012 can't backup 10.0.3 or 10.0.4.  Any thoughts on this?  Any reason I shouldn't go to 10.0.2, then upgrade to .4 after the issues are resolved?
  • Any changes to EVPMS, or does this still work the same from v9 to 10? 
  • I'm running on an older SQL server, and need to migrate the data to a different environment in the next few months, regardless of the Vault upgrade.  Should I do this during the migration, or will this complicate things too much?
  • Outlook Add-in: I'm pretty sure this will be OK, but any reason I need to upgrade clients to a new add-in before the upgrade, or am I safe to do this afterwards?
  • Any other issues or problems I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sounds like you have thougth it through pretty well.  I would recommend just going to 10.0.2 because of the back up issue or even just waiting until it is fixed.

Does your version of SQL support EV 10?  You might want to do that bit first then use the Server Settings Migration Wizard to upgrade to new hardware.

EVPM still works the same.

You can upgrade the add-in before or after, your choice.

Make sure to have good back ups!  :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

Sounds like you have thougth it through pretty well.  I would recommend just going to 10.0.2 because of the back up issue or even just waiting until it is fixed.

Does your version of SQL support EV 10?  You might want to do that bit first then use the Server Settings Migration Wizard to upgrade to new hardware.

EVPM still works the same.

You can upgrade the add-in before or after, your choice.

Make sure to have good back ups!  :)

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Thanks.  SQL is 2005, so it is supported on both versions.

TonySterling

Good deal then.  I would recommend doing the SQL move and upgrade at different times.  You can do them on the same weekend but you would want to verify one before doing the other.

For example, move sql and verify everything is working.  Take your backup and then upgrade\migrate EV to 10 and verify the ugprade.  You just want to eliminate break points in case you have to troubleshoot something.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

FWIW I agree with Tony. Don't do SQL + Upgrade in the same timeframe. Do one then the other.  Makes for more overtime pay ... OOPS I mean smoother operatons. smiley

Working for cloudficient.com