cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to EV8

mklyotskin
Level 2
We are upgrading to EV8 soon, we have about 8T in three Vault Partitions. Would like to find out if anyone moved 7.5 partitions to 8, goal is to use new OSIS storage model for old data and maybe have all data classified thru ACE in the process.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
HOLD ON HOLD ON.............

mklyotskin, Ignore all of the above. In the next service pack of Enterprise Vault there will be a feature called "Move Archive" this will move an entire archive from one place to another.

So you can move all your old archives to a new Vault Store Group that has OSIS enabled.  We only speaking a couple of months here, so I would go ahead and plan your upgrade to v8.0 SP2, and when the next service pack hits the street you are ready to rock and roll.

I sat on most of the Move Archive reviews, and yes it will do everything you need it to in your case.

--wayne

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

You can't convert existing data to the new Storage Model without exporting and importing the data again.
Upgrading to v8 will use the existing storage model for existing data, and will use the new model for new data.

If you like to do migrate, we got an automated solution called "Archive Shuttle", which exports and imports archives.
Could be of interest to you.

See here:
http://www.evtools.net/products/archive-shuttle

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
You won't benefit from the new OSIS storage model with 7.5 data, as this will only work with newly archived data. To benefit from this you would probably need to look at pulling the data out and then re-archiving it, and with 8TB of data that is a big decision.

I would look at invoking Professional Services to see if they have any thoughts on the matter, or have done something similar.

mklyotskin
Level 2
Back before EV8 came out, we asked Symantec this question. They told us that they may have a utility to do the migration. No date for the release was given, so a promise is a promise.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hehe.
No date was given.... :)

Maybe in EV9?  :) :)

MichelZ
Level 6
Do you need any more assistance with this? If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution? Thanks & Regards Michel

BarneyHaye
Level 3
Partner
mklyotskin,

If your goal is to consolidate EV Servers into a new or existing EV 8 architecture, take a look at TransVault.com.

TV extracts data from EV Exchange archives from v5 onwards and sends the data into an EV7 or above Server via the SDK, in a synchronous manner.  Once the data has been migrated by this background process for any user or group, a shortcut migration task is run that converts any mailbox shortcuts to point at the destination system rather than at the source system.

TV maintains a full audit trail, complete error logging, task restarting, email address/domain re-writing and reporting.  Tasks can be distributed across multiple migration servers sending data into multiple EV Store Servers.

TV will also take data out of other archives, inc. EMC, ZANTAZ, Quest and OpenText if you need to deal with a merger scenario.

Best regards,

Barney Haye
TVS

Maverik
Level 6
I'm not aware of any tool being looked at for this. Perhaps go back to the sales people to query further.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
HOLD ON HOLD ON.............

mklyotskin, Ignore all of the above. In the next service pack of Enterprise Vault there will be a feature called "Move Archive" this will move an entire archive from one place to another.

So you can move all your old archives to a new Vault Store Group that has OSIS enabled.  We only speaking a couple of months here, so I would go ahead and plan your upgrade to v8.0 SP2, and when the next service pack hits the street you are ready to rock and roll.

I sat on most of the Move Archive reviews, and yes it will do everything you need it to in your case.

--wayne

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
mklyotskin,

Has this answered your question? If so pleas mark this as resolved.....