cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users attempting to access their EV vault receive ' 0x800706BA: The RPC Server is unavailable'

EV_Novice
Level 5

A number of users, attempting access their EV vault via VPN are encountering ' 0x800706BA: The RPC Server is unavailable', despite being able to access their Outlook mail box successfully.

The following ports have been made available via the firewalls:

TCP 135, 139, 445
UDP 137, 138

Please advise if there are any additional ports / ranges of ports we should include to overcome this problem.

We're using a CISCO VPN solution.

thanks in advance :)

14 REPLIES 14

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi there

Have a look here  and here

You probably need port 80, too.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

thankyou for your response. I've referred the ports list to our firewalls team for attention.

I note that the 'workaround' for the self install functions is 'disabled by default'.

If we need to try this workaround, please can you explain why the functions are disabled by default?

What are the implications of enabling these functions ?

thanks !

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel, one of the users encountering problems advised me as follows:

"If whilst in the office I archive some items. When I next log on to my laptop be it at work or over VPN. The EV client synchronises my local vault. Explain that one when it cannot see the RPC server to add items to the vault when on VPN?"

I hope the above helps....

EV_Novice
Level 5

Michel,

after a couple of users tried and failed to connect, after we added the missing ports, I'm going to try the change you listed for using the 'self-install' feature, later today. Am I right in assuming that I will NOT need a server reboot to activate this feature ?

thanks!!

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

I wanted to configure the 'self install' workaround you mentioned, but was unable to do so. Neither the desktop tab, nor the selection itself were listed. I looked at the Outllook tab, the OWA tab and all of the others, but nowhere was it to be found. Please advise if theres anything else I need to configure, to get that choice to appear ?

thanks and Good Luck !

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

I just checked, it was renamed in 2007.

Go to the Policy -> Outlook

It's now called "Outlook Add-In behavior", and you want to try setting it to "HTTP-only".

Cheers

Michel

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

thankyou. I've made the change and will let you know the results, as soon as I have some !

thanks.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

One of our suffering users tried again, following application of the change you suggested for the policy, but again, failure was achieved.

We checked the Firewall logs to see if there were any new ports being blocked and found one: 1541, which relates to RDS (?).

Please advise ?

EV_Novice
Level 5

On pages 272, 273 of the installation and configuration manual, 'Configuring RPC over HTTP in EV Exchange Mail Policy', the RPC over HTTP Restrictions are, by default set to 'Disable User Extensions':

in the comment it says "RPC over HTTP working is not enabled in the Enterprise Vault Add-Ins".

Could this be contributing to our difficulties ? What are the perils of setting this to 'None'  (comment says 'All EV client functionality is available') ?

Thanks !?

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

Do your users connect using RPC over HTTP?

Cheers

Michel

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

It would seem to be the case.

Our users need to be able to access both their mail via their outlook 2007 client and the content of their EV vault, so that they can 1, archive items and 2, open old items already placed in the archive. All of this needs to be achievable via our Cisco VPN solution, as mentioned earlier.

Hope that helps ?

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Michel,

I've sought answers from those who built our EV server, regarding RCP and I'm now advised that "we are not using RPC/HTTP but accessing mail using VPN because RCP/HTTP is Outlook 2007. Over the internet, EV does not work well with VPN as there is currently no RSA SecurID plug-in available." There is a belief that such a plug-in will become available in a future service pack for EV.

I hope you can comment upon the above ?

However, that still leaves me with users who cannot get to their archived mail via VPN and only connect to our systems via VPN. Look forward to your advice.

EV_Novice
Level 5

As my "handle" suggests I really am an EV Novice.

If the question I've posed appears to you to be something that has an elementary and obvious answer, but you don't want to appear 'rude' don't worry.

However, if you're working towards an answer, please let me now, because time and management are putting on pressure!

Your guidance is appreciated :)

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

No, this is not something "obvious" ;)

Could you get some logfiles out of a client which connects over VPN?

Hold down CTRL+SHIFT buttons, and click one of the EV Buttons in EV.

You should get an "Enterprise Vault Diagnose" popup.

Choose "Open protocol" or something like this, and post the content of it here.

If you want a "fast" solution, I'd suggest you open a case with Symantec ;)

Cheers

Michel