cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Volume Mount Points

David_standish
Level 5
My customer has a requirement to create a large number of Vault Stores (greater than 90).  While each of them will be fairly small, we need to isolate a Vault Store onto seperate iSCSI storage volumes. 

I am trying to determine the number of Enterprise Vault 2007 Servers we will need.  With Windows, we are limited to 26 drive letters, so I'm wondering if something like volume mount points would make it possible to create a directory structure that can handle a large number of stores. 

Has anyone worked with mount points when implementing Enterprise Vault and does anyone know if this is explicitly not supported?

Thanks.

- Dave
3 REPLIES 3

SlowFox
Level 3
Hello David,

For a hosting provider I am implementing EV2007 I faced about the same situation.
Due to security reasons and Customer mandates I was forced to seperate the psychical stores for each customer.

I have used mountpoints for each customer and it works fine. If this is explicitly (un)supported by Symantec I don't know. This was not an issue for my client.

I have created empty folders and configured the vault stores pointing to these directories. After creating the vaults I mounted the drives. This because the wizard persists in creating vaults on empty directories.

A lot of testing did not result in any kind of error/failure.
Keep in mind that the use of MOM or other tool might give you wrong information about disk capacity / free space.

If the need for psychial separation of the drives is needed I would prefer a supported solution.
Why not placing the disks (iSCSI) on an external storage device.

succes.
Harry

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Dave, Harry,

I think Symantec only requires "an NTFS Partition", and a Volume Mount Point is nothing else.
So this should be supported. (But of course I'm not a Symantec rep, which may have a different view of this...)

Symantec:
Any clues here?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

David_standish
Level 5
Thanks for the responses - I also found the same results - creating a vault store at a mount point resulted in an error since there is a hidden O/S file created for the Mount Point to use, so the same method of creating the archive, then creating the mount point worked fine.

I found that deleting is the same case, it cannot remove this hidden file, so attempting to delete a vault store from the VAC will fail until you dismount the folder.

One side note, which scared me a little, is that I was using subfolders for testing c:\data\store1, etc.  When I removed Archive 1, the program removed both the c:\data\store1 folder and the c:\data folder, which it did not create and was on the local disk.  It was because it was empty, so there is something in the code to get rid of parent directories if they are empty.  When I had another empty folder under c:\data, it left it intact.

The requirement is more for logical seperation than physical, so I altered our configuration to just present one volume from the iSCSI which I am now carving into seperate volumes from the O/S level and creating a mount point to each.  This lets me only manage the mount points without having to worry about multiple iSCSI initiator logons.