cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault search question

Samuel_Lee
Level 4
We have roughly 100 mailboxes are archived into EV. I just assigned a task to perform couple of phrase search against these mailboxes. I know a way is to grant myself permission to each archive and use the web interface to search each archive one at a time. Is there a better way to allow me to search the phrase across all 100 mailbox archives at once? FYI, they are all in the same vault store.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can use EVPM to apply permissions to all the archives at once.

Here is an example, there is more information in the Utilities.pdf:

directorycomputername = myserver
sitename = MySite

ArchiveName = all
GrantAccess = read, domain\user

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
First question, do you have DA or CA? if yes use it. :)
Second, is the index level for all those archives Full? If not you will not be able to phrase search.

If the answer to 1 is no, then you will have to give yourself permission or use an account that does have permission to search the archives. You can search more than one archive at once, but would recommend doing all 100 at one time via the EV Web Search, not really what it was designed for.

Regards,

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi

I cannot give you instructions off the top of my head, but yes you can do this via EVPM.

Samuel_Lee
Level 4
We do not have DA or CA and our indexing is set to Full. The next question I have is how to search all 100 archives at once from the web search? I have full permission to 10 of the archives and when I go to web search, I still need to use the drop down box to select each archive and search against it one at a time?

Thanks.

Samuel_Lee
Level 4
I don't have DA and CA and we have full indexing turned on.

Samuel_Lee
Level 4
We don't have CA or DA but have full indexing turned on.

Samuel_Lee
Level 4
Dodo,

Can you show me the instruction how to do this? Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike_Dowling
Level 4
Create an EVPM script an example is below:

directorycomputername = directorycomputername
sitename = yoursitename

vaultName = Name of vault or 'ALL'
AllowControlAccess = domain\username

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have permissions on all the vaults you want go to the we search screen.

Type in your phrase search and select either "all vaults" or "select vaults" (this depends on the version you have. Run the search and view or export the results.

FYI if this is going to become a habit get yourself a DA box, it makes life much easier.

TonySterling
You can use EVPM to apply permissions to all the archives at once.

Here is an example, there is more information in the Utilities.pdf:

directorycomputername = myserver
sitename = MySite

ArchiveName = all
GrantAccess = read, domain\user

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Sam, one caveat:

The search.asp webpage is nothing more than an ASP webpage. No database, nothing recorded, just a page running under IIS. The main argument behind deploying CA or DA is that either one of those are actually services with database backends and are very fault tolerant. If search.asp runs into problems you will likely lose a lot of work. With CA or DA if the machine loses power when it comes back up the searches will pick right up where they left off.

Most likely you will be able to complete the searches you need with search.asp but if this is an on-going thing you really should look at CA or DA.