cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault

Edyxx
Level 5

Dear All,

I have an issue with Virtual Vault. It has disappeared from my Outlook navigation pane. The Enterprise Outlook add in is loaded and I see the Enterprise Vault menü and can see the "configure Vault Cache" button in File, Enterprise Vault.

Unfortunately I may have still some e-mails in my Virtual Cache which havent't synchronized with the server yet. Although when i press the Synchronize button in the Enterprise Vault menu it says "items to archive" 0. But I believe this is misleading.

Is there a way to re-add the Virtual Vault in the navigation pane without deleting the EV cache on the machine? Second I see some files in the KVS folder in AppData\Local on my machines. A few are tmps. Is there a way to view it?

The configuration is: Outlook 2010 with Enterprise Vault 9.0.4.

Thanks,

Edy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you see .MDC file on that location? If yes, take a copy of that file and rename it to .PST and open in Outlook client..

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

From the 'Configure Vault Cache' dialog, you should have a 'Virtual Vault' tab if it has been made available to you by your administrator. From there you can select the Archievs you wish to see in Virtual Vault.

Edyxx
Level 5

Hi,

Yes I see this tab and it is available for our users. But in the incident I have it is greyed out.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you see .MDC file on that location? If yes, take a copy of that file and rename it to .PST and open in Outlook client..

Edyxx
Level 5

Yes, there is a MDC file about 1.2GB large. I copied it and renamed to a PST and tried to open it within Outlook. Outlook cannot read it.

Any hope? Attached is a screenshot of all the files in the KVS folder.

Thanks,

Edy

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

whats the error you get while opening the MDC file in Outlook?

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Additionally check if following technote can be applied: It offers hotfix on 9.0.4

When Outlook is configured to use an Office Language Pack, Virtual Vault may not be available after installation of the Enterprise Vault (EV) Outlook add-in.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196255

Edyxx
Level 5

I repaired the MDC file using scanpst.exe. After the repair I culd attach the PST to Outlook. The folder "to arrchive" I can see now with the mails in it I was missing. The problem is resolved now.

I'm just wondering how it could happen that the MD got corrupt. 

Thanks,

Edy

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Cheers!! Glad to know that problem has been solved. Well the MDC is nothing but a PST file, so the way PST gets corrupt are all applicable to MDC as well...forcefully closing an outlook client could be one of them

Edyxx
Level 5

What do you think? When I rename the PST back to MDC and copy in the KVS folder. Will the synchronize kick in and continue the synchronization of the item left in the folder "to archive".

Thanks,

Edy

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I will not recommend that..

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

The safest thing for you to do (after tinkering with the Vault Cache files) is to close Outlook, and delete the MDC file, and allow Vault Cache to recreate it. Renaming it back to an MDC file will likely work, but tinkering with the MDC file in this fashion is not reccomended, nor supported.

Edyxx
Level 5

Okay thank you for all your inputs!

Cheers,

Edy