cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Enterprise Vault Backup Documentation Lacking?

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
I've hunted and hunted through Symantec’s backup documentation and it's about as useful as white gloves when eating a Ketchup Popsicle.

Here is my set up:

1. Running Enterprise Vault version 8 SP1 in a Microsoft Cluster
2. The database server is on a seperate server. MS SQL Server 2005 on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
3. Backup software is BrightStor ArcServe Backup r11.5 SP4 (Build 4491)

Here is the documentation that I've read through:

Backing up Enterprise Vault 8.0 and later
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285839.htm
Backup Section in the Admin Guide (Which pointed me to the Backing up Enterprise Vault in a clustered environment)
Backing up Enterprise Vault in a clustered environment

Here is what I've got so far:
I have a script that can set the backup mode, clear the backup mode, put Enterprise Vault Server in read only mode, and put the Enterprise Vault Server in read/write mode.

What I don't understand:
Why do they refer me to the view_VaultStoreBackup.sql and view_VaultStoreBackup? I should be able to create backup jobs in MS SQL Server 2005 to backup up the databases. The information they provide you for the scripts is lacking. It's pretty sad I've had to peace meal all this information from forums, especially for the price of this software. I will get off my soap box now. Do I have to edit these files to fit my environment?

This documentation doesn't provide any scenarios or any order of configuring the backups. In a MS Cluster do I have to set the backup mode then set the read only mode for PRE-backup and then start my system, file, and database backups (since they have to be synched)? Do I have to set the read/write mode (because it will not let me clear the backup mode if it's in read only mode) and then clear the backup mode for post backup?

Thanks,
Sunshine
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Sunshine,

That looks good to me. You can do a incremental backup as Enterprise Vault now only adds new data it does not append it.  I would thou recommend doing a full backup on the indexes if you can.

Regarding your last question, you will not need to use evopmode.bat if you use the psc files, however if you have already run it please remove the following regkeys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage]
  • EnableArchive
  • EnableCrawler
  • EnableExpiry
  • EnableFileWatch
  • EnablePSTMigrations
  • EnableReplayIndex
Your proposal looks spot on now, for reading reference see this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-using-ntbackup Its not half as nice as yours however you will see how much better using your proposed backup strategy is.

--wayne

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Sunshine,

I'm sorry you feel that the backup section of the documentation is not up to your standards, but I for one think its one of the best. That's just my opinion.

You do not need to use the stored procedure, if you have a SQL agent, by all means use that.  The reason for the storeproc is so that people without a proper agent can dump the SQL database to a flat file. 

Please just remember that when using an SQL agent to make sure that the SQL backup happens when Enterprise Vault is in read-only mode.

You want to keep these three in sync:
  • Indexes
  • Vault Stores
  • SQL Databases
Are you using the regkeys to place Enterprise Vault into read-only mode or are you using powershell?

--wayne

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
Hi Wayne,

I was planning to use the evopmode.bat file to put in read only and read/write mode.  I was also planning to use the powershell script to set the backup mode and clear the back mode for the vault store and indexes.  I am running an MS Cluster.  Do I need to do both these operations or just one?  The evopmode.bat sets the regkeys.  Thanks for your help in this matter, I'm just in the process of getting my head wrapped around the backup process for Enterprise Vault.

Thanks,
Sunshine.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Sunshine,

I always limit my scripts to one server, making management simpler in the long run, also a lot less change of scripts not syncing up.  If you are on v8 i would recommend just using powershell to place the Vault Stores into read-only mode. The regkeys will be come dormant sometime.

Also if you use powershell, you will not need to restart any services :) which is my preferred method. I hate restarting services when there is no need to......

Are you thinking of using the SQL agent or dumping the databases to a flat file?

--wayne

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
When you say use the powershell script to place the vault store into read-only mode, is that the below script?

Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-IndexLocationBackupMode servername

Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' -evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup'

I am using EV version 8 SP1.  I'm wanting to use the SQL agent to backup the database.

Here is what I'm thinking I need to do if the above powershell script is the correct way to put the server in read only mode (I'm using MS Cluster)

1.  Pre-Backup; Set the backup mode for Index and the Vault Store Group
2.  Start the complete system and file backup
3.  Have the SQL agent backup the databases at the same time as the system and file backup
4. Post-Backup; Clear the backup mode with the powershel script below
     Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-IndexLocationBackupMode servername
     Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' -    evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup'

Another Question:
Does this need to be a full backup everytime or will I be able to use incrementals?  Also if I'm going to use the poweshell script do I need to clear out the registry keys that were added by the evopmode.bat file? 

Thank,
Sunshine

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Sunshine,

That looks good to me. You can do a incremental backup as Enterprise Vault now only adds new data it does not append it.  I would thou recommend doing a full backup on the indexes if you can.

Regarding your last question, you will not need to use evopmode.bat if you use the psc files, however if you have already run it please remove the following regkeys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage]
  • EnableArchive
  • EnableCrawler
  • EnableExpiry
  • EnableFileWatch
  • EnablePSTMigrations
  • EnableReplayIndex
Your proposal looks spot on now, for reading reference see this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-using-ntbackup Its not half as nice as yours however you will see how much better using your proposed backup strategy is.

--wayne

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
Thanks Wayne,

You've been a big help in getting my backup plan rolling forward.  Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks,
Sunshine Baines

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Sunshine,

If you have your solution then please mark the solution post.

It keeps things tidy in here, so many never mark solutions and it makes it easier for others to find solutions

Scott_Riser
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I for one think the backup procedure for the Vaults and Indexing are awesome. However, I too think that the SQL backup portion is poor and ill-defined.
For those of us who aren't SQL gurus, how does one call a stored procedure from a powershell script?
How does all of this play into the use of the Backup Exec agent for Enterprise Vault? I'm told that 8.0 isn't support for the agent which makes sense but shows extremely poor communication within Symantec (don't tout an agent for one product that doesn't work with the latest release of another product).

HKP11
Level 4

I would like recommendations on backups of Enterprise Vault 8 data on SAN.  The SQL database backups should be straightforward, but not sure about the vauld data on the SAN disks.  What is the best way to backup the data (not SQL)?  How often?

Thanks

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
HKP11, Please start a new thread as this one has been marked solved.

jason_lucy
Level 5
Would the same apply for 7.5 SP2?