cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is that my EV index LUN is running out quickly ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

Can anyone please clarify as to why my EV drive for Index running out all in a sudden ?

is this bacause I've just enabled the EV Collection for all Open/Closed VaultStore ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well indexing is for new content, and for changes in items in an archive (eg being deleted, etc).

So... probably not due to enabling collections.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello John,

I've seen that too in some environment here.

It had to do with VSS, using those disks as temporary snapshot location, even when I thought it was not used.

check the following:

Open Windows Explorer.

Rightclick the drive where your indexes are stored (even when using mountpoints/san, use the designated driveletter) In my environment, I use mountpoints, all in a subfolder of the F-drive, so select F:

Select properties

Select Tab Shadow Copies

They should all be 'disabled'. Verify in the column "Used", you do not see an amount of data somewhere.

If a location is enabled, set it to disable, and/or set the limit to as small as possible.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well indexing is for new content, and for changes in items in an archive (eg being deleted, etc).

So... probably not due to enabling collections.

John_Santana
Level 6

Yeah, that's what I thought so...

no new items but somehow the Index file growth is 55% in the past 1 week. Now it sits on 99% disk full.

How to shrink the Index size safely ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can't .. unless you either:

a/ Delete data

b/ Move stuff to a new drive.

GertjanA

John, can you verify your antivirus exclusion?

Can you verify no indexrebuilds/upgrades are taking place?

Can you also check your backup is not using snapshots? Perhaps there are 'hidden' snapshots occupying space? Hidden files? Someone else using your drive too?

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

A. Delete data, do you mean set the auto expiry to purge the data ?

B. yes I'm about to initiatie NTFS to CIFS share migration, but I'm still puzzled with the fact that the Index lun is now 99% full in just one week less ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi gertjan,

John, can you verify your antivirus exclusion?

yes it has been set to exclude the necessary files needed by EV.

How to do that ?

Can you also check your backup is not using snapshots?

No, it is not possible, because the NTFS drive is presented to the EV 9 VM as RDM (pass through) disk from the storage array.

Perhaps there are 'hidden' snapshots occupying space? Hidden files? Someone else using your drive too?

No it is only dedicated to EV.

GertjanA

Hello John,

I believe you are on EV10 right?

How to do that ?

In EV console, click on Indexing. Click on index volumes browser, see if the resulting window shows something?

Otherwise, it might be best to call support, and work with them on this.

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Gertjan,

No, I'm on EV 9.0.4

Next weekend i'll be upgrading to EV 10 so not yet.

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Depending on EV version you could make a rough estimate on how large the indexes should be.

If you know how much you've archived so far (via SQL RS reports or via usage.asp) and multiply the original size with the indexing level, you can then estimate the index size.

e.g. if you have archvied 100GB worth of content (original size) and using Full Indexing (12% or 13% depending on EV version), that should then equal to roughly 12-13GB worth of indexes.

John_Santana
Level 6

Very strange, from 99% full, now this morning it is down to 50%

why is that happening ?

GertjanA

Hello John,

I've seen that too in some environment here.

It had to do with VSS, using those disks as temporary snapshot location, even when I thought it was not used.

check the following:

Open Windows Explorer.

Rightclick the drive where your indexes are stored (even when using mountpoints/san, use the designated driveletter) In my environment, I use mountpoints, all in a subfolder of the F-drive, so select F:

Select properties

Select Tab Shadow Copies

They should all be 'disabled'. Verify in the column "Used", you do not see an amount of data somewhere.

If a location is enabled, set it to disable, and/or set the limit to as small as possible.

Regards. Gertjan