cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to isolate Enterprise Vault Search upgrade to members of AD Security Group

mrweeble
Level 2

Howdy

I inherited a project to upgrade Enterprise Vault Search.

Instead of enabling for ALL users, we wanted to isolate to a AD Security Group full of test users.

The previous administrator manually created Provisioning Group (and associated the AD security group to the provisioning group) using the manually created Default Search Policy.

When i add a user to the AD Security Group and run the provisioning Task, i am not seeing any difference in the Search Window.

I cannot find anything online which explicitly states what differences i would expect.

Can anyone advise me how i can confirm the process is functioning as it should? And what i can expect to see in the Search window after a successful upgrade?

Server: 2012r2
EV Server: 11.0.1.3474 (Stand Alone)
EV Client: 12.2.3.1576

Need anything else to determine a solution - let me know.

Many thanks
Jeff

6 REPLIES 6

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Jeff,

The new Search consolidates the Archive Explorer and the old Search and once users are enabled for the new EVS, you should see a new Search Button in Outlook/OWA. The Archive Explorer button should disappear.

If you are not able to see any change immediately, try doing an IIS reset on the EV server and check if it makes any difference.

--Virgil

Hi Virgil

Many thanks for the quick response and clarification.

I had read about the buttons but for some reason, even users who have not been provisioned have the buttons changed. (see below for a non-provisioned user's EV in Outlook 2016) 

Not sure how this could have happened as the Global Search funtion still shows as not upgraded. (Screen below from the admin console)

Would there be logs showing which users are on the new Search and which were still on legacy?

2018-05-02 14_14_23-Inbox - Jeff.Lamb@baytexenergy.com - Outlook.png2018-05-02 14_16_31-ev01yyc - Remote Desktop Connection.png

VirgilDobos

Hi Jef,

Interesting. Is there any Client Search Provisioning group that targets the Whole Organization?

By the way, was this EV environment upgraded? I'm sure you know that the new EV Search was introduced in EV 11. If you upgraded from EV 10 to EV 11, enabling EV search is optional. However, once you upgrade to EV 12, the new EV Search will be enabled automatically for all users as far as I know. 

--Virgil

GertjanA

As long as you only enable a subset of users for the new search, that button remains visible.

As you have only 'search vaults', I bet if you click that, you get the new search screen.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Virgil

It is still version 11.x

As i mentioned, i inherited this project from a colleague who is no longer with the company.
and the last time he worked on this particular issue was over 2 years ago.

I am surprised that, even though only 5 test members are included in the AD Security group, everyone i check in the company has the archive explorer and other buttons gone and the Search Vaults button.

It does open the new Search page inside of Outlook.

I think i am out of options on confirming if the entire company has it (verified by logs?) and just pull the trigger on the global conversion.

Thanks for everything
Jeff

Hi GertjanA

that is correct, when clicking on Search Vaults, it does give the new search window.
It seems to be that the program ignored the AD Security Group membership and applied to the entire domain (OR my predessor made a mistake in his original configuration that provisioned the entire company)

Thanks for everything
Jeff