cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.6.0.3 clients

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I've updated my appliances to 7.6.0.3, but when I am trying to use them to set up a new client, my only options to download from them is 7.6.0.1.  I've downloaded the client software and gone through the process of opening the share on the appliance, copying it over to the appliance, list downloaded, close share, etc., but it still doesn't show.  Am I missing a step or can I just not use the appliance as a download spot for 7.6.0.3?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

My Mistake, the install of these is in the same fashion however.

You should be able to then

install *packagename*

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since Appliance 2.6.0.2 (NBU 7.6.0.2) the NBU client software is no longer included. 
2.6.0.1 was the last version to include 7.6.0.1 software.

You can find the client addons with installation instructions on the 2.6.0.3 dowload page:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217250

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I've downloaded the addons and added them to the appliance.  My question is, I want to be able to browse to the appliance and download the client software directly from the appliance.  The software that I'm downloading is not the most current version.  Is there a way to be able to download the current version of the client from the appliance?  

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried these steps listed in the TN?

Perform this method from a computer that is connected to the appliance and that also has Internet access. Internet access is needed to download the files or packages from the Symantec Support website to the appliance.

1. Open an SSH session and log on to the appliance as an administrator.

2. Enter the following command to open the NFS and the CIFS shares:

Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Share Open

3. Map or mount the appropriate appliance NFS or CIFS share directory using the steps below:  

- Windows:  Map the following CIFS share on your computer:
   \\<appliance-name>\incoming patches

NOTE: On Windows systems, you are prompted to provide the user name (admin) and its corresponding password.

- UNIX: Mount the following appliance NFS share:
      mkdir -p /mount/<appliance-name>
      mount <appliance-name>:/inst/patch/incoming /mount/<appliance-name>

4. Scroll to the bottom of this page and download the release update or the client package. The following will help you determine which files to download:

... etc....
....etc....

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Yes, those are the steps I went through.  

mnolan
Level 6

You say you downloaded the addon client packages and added them to appliance, I just want to be very clear and confirm that you installed these rpms?

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Yes, the addon clients listed on the page were rpms.

mnolan
Level 6

Again, just want to be clear with the steps.

You joined the files into a single file with resulting name and hash?

NB_Appliance_N_2.6.0.3-1.tar 

MD5: b88502d94fcdf0f7edb58705d5bed261  SHA1: 71ae52027c407aa4b59de359d908ebf80d010a23

Then decompressed this file into the following

SYMC_NBAPP_update-2.6.0.3-1.x86_64.rpm
   update.rpm.md5_checksum
      update.rpm.sha1_checksum

What also should match the checksum in those other files.
The moved said rpm to the share.

Then closed the share.
Then:
  Main_Menu > Manage > Software > List Downloaded
And finally kicked off the install with
  Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Install <patch_name>

Just to be clear, this is the procedure you followed.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

No.  I did not download the appliance update via the TN.  I downloaded and installed the appliance update via the appliance.  Now I'm trying to add the client software so that I get the new version of the client software from the appliance.

Marianne
Level 6

Please follow the steps in the TN and as listed by mnolan?

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Just to be clear, you are saying that to get the client software installed on the appliance so that it's available to be downloaded, I have to download the appliance update and install it, even though the appliances are already updated?  I don't guess I understand how that process gets the clients installed, since they are not included in the server software.  

Scott_123
Level 3

When you update your appliance to 2.6.0.2 or 2.6.0.3 (NetBackup 7.6.0.2 or 7.6.0.3), you are installing both the NetBackup Server (Master/Media) and Client components on the appliance, so your appliance is running 7.6.0.3 Client.

This is different than putting the NetBackup Client binaries for various operating systems into a folder that can be accessed by other servers and used to download/install the NetBackup Client.  As a previous post said, these stopped being included as part of a "base" appliance install/update after 2.6.0.1.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Yes, the previous post that mentioned it was mine.  

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Mnolan, I found the client rpms in the /inst/patch/appliance/available directory.  Should they be in the upgrading directory?  And if so, how can I get them there?

mnolan
Level 6

A) "I found the client rpms " Following the technote has you join it into a single file of the name listed in the TN. Are you seeing one file of the combined name or the three parts yet to be combined?

B) I would just move them off via cifs share, combine them if needed, then add them to the right share then proceed with the rest of the TN.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

The technote has you combine the tar file splits for the appliance update to create the appliance rpm, not the client rpms.  The client rpms are downloaded and copied individually.   When I run the List Downloaded command, I get the following:

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbclient_INTEL-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbclient_Linux-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_update-2.6.0.3-1.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbwin-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

•  

mnolan
Level 6

My Mistake, the install of these is in the same fashion however.

You should be able to then

install *packagename*

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Thanks.  That was the part I was missing.  I figured it out late last night after opening a ticket with our third-party support for it.  It had them stumped too.  The problem was that I didn't realize I had to 'install' the client rpm's.  It might have been clearer to me if I had gone through the manual process of installing the appliance update, but I did that through the appliance itself.  Now I have to go through and clean out old updates to free up space in the /inst file system so I can install all the new software.  

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help me with this.

Marianne
Level 6

Glad you came right!

We have been begging you for more than a week to follow the steps in the TN.

To install the downloaded packages is documented in the TN under the topic:

Steps to install the uploaded NetBackup Appliance software version 2.6.0.3 release update

To install a software update that has been downloaded to the appliance:

1. Log in to the appliance console and enter the following command to install the release update. Use the name of the release update rpm from Step 6.

Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Install <patch_name>