Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Concern for Mapping VM datastore to NBU appliance

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello

As we know , for the windows base NBU server , we must disable/scrub automount on the media server that mapped VMware datastore.

If I map the vm datastore to NBU appliance, should there are any special instruction.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127089

Look on page 19 and 20 where it has a caveat about multi-path support to the VM data stores. This applies to the 5220 appliance as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127089

Look on page 19 and 20 where it has a caveat about multi-path support to the VM data stores. This applies to the 5220 appliance as well.

pgm10s
Level 5

I afraid that the vmware datastore will be destoyed/overwritten. I have founded this when I boot the server with IBM server guide.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Rebooting which server? I have this in my environment and have rebooted the media server multiple times and have never overwritten the data store.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have done this many times, on both Windows and Appliances.

As you say, with Windows you must ensure that automount is OFF within the diskpart utility.  With the appliances there are no issues to be concerned about.  Simply zone in the appliance to the SAN and then present the LUNs containing the datastores to the appliance, use the SCAN command from within the FibreChannel menu of the appliance (when using an SSH session) and you will see the devices presented.

The first time I tried this with the appliance I was a little 'concerned' like yourself, but many appliances later I have had no issues.

AJ

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

There should be no issues with it seeing you datastore LUNS but do not have multiple paths to them as there is a memory leak that will cause your appliance to run out of memory and fall over if you do

This will be fixed in the next release but other than that there are no issues or worries about doing it.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Mark,

I disagree with your comment "This will be fixed in the next release" it may be for the memory leak but the reason you cannot use multi-pathing with the 5220 or a regular "build your own" media server relies on VMWare coming up with a repaired API and that is slated for "Maybe7.6 ish" because it depends on VMWare and not Symantec.

Andrew

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Wolfsbane - thanks for that, I was not aware of the extra issue with the actual API - thanks for sharing