cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPMI port setup on 5020 w/1.4.1.1

Beavisrulz
Level 4

Hello,

I have searched the documentation, knowledgebase, and the forums, and I cannot find detailed information on how to configure and use the IPMI port on a NetBackup Appliance 5020 running v1.4.1.1.

I did find steps to configure the port in the DedupAppSW_Admin_Guide, but the commands don't work let alone exist. I also don't see if the port supports 100MB Ethernet, 1GB, etc. Am I missing something? Does the port need to be turned on in a BIOS config first that I don't know about or is mentioned anywhere? The port is there and the 1.4.1.1 documentation states that I can use it, but apparently the commands are not available on our 5020 appliances.

Once the port is setup, is it just a matter of opening a browser such as IE or FireFox and going to the IP address assigned to the IPMI port?

I did not know they were available until this past weekend when I was working on a case with a Symantec tech and he asked me if I had IPMI setup. It would have been nice to have it setup because I could have done my troubleshooting and patching from home instead of having to come into the office on the weekend.  ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to get this setup on all of our appliances. We use the ILO on our HP server and this sounds like it works exactly the same.

Thanks!

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The IPMI tool is available in the applainces O/S in that version

go to admin in the menu then type su

this drops you into the operating system

go to usr/bin

you can then use the following commands - you need to do them all (obviously with you own values):

ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr 192.168.1.100

ipmitool lan set 1 netmask 255.255.255.0

ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr 192.168.1.1

ipmitool user list 1        (this will show a list of users - admin should be number 1 and is used in the next command)

ipmitool set 1 access on

ipmitool user set password 1 abc123

Once this is all done you ahould be able to go to 192.168.1.100 in a web browser to see the interface and then login as admin wth a password of abc123

Note that you cannot use any symbols in the password - must be standard alpha numeric

Before you start you can do the following to show the current configuration:

ipmitool lan print 1

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you login to the CLI, and type IPMI, what does the appliance respond with?

Beavisrulz
Level 4

Nothing. It just displays the available commands: admin, FC, history, logout, network, nodeinfo, PDCLI, PureDisk, storage, system, and vzone.

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Then you'll have to setup it up within the BIOS at a reboot.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't until 1.4.2 that the software options for setting it up came into the picture.  I missed your 1.4.1.1 initially, sorry.

Beavisrulz
Level 4

OK, I'll give that a shot. May not be for a few days or so.

Thanks!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The IPMI tool is available in the applainces O/S in that version

go to admin in the menu then type su

this drops you into the operating system

go to usr/bin

you can then use the following commands - you need to do them all (obviously with you own values):

ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr 192.168.1.100

ipmitool lan set 1 netmask 255.255.255.0

ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr 192.168.1.1

ipmitool user list 1        (this will show a list of users - admin should be number 1 and is used in the next command)

ipmitool set 1 access on

ipmitool user set password 1 abc123

Once this is all done you ahould be able to go to 192.168.1.100 in a web browser to see the interface and then login as admin wth a password of abc123

Note that you cannot use any symbols in the password - must be standard alpha numeric

Before you start you can do the following to show the current configuration:

ipmitool lan print 1

Hope this helps