Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Master server from appliance to a Windows/Linux server

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Kindly help me in understanding if this is possible.

I have a 5230 configured as Master and media server(2.6.0.1). I want to take out the Master component from it and migrate/move it to another server either with Linux or windows OS.

Kindly let me know if this is possible and if catman is possible here.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To anyone who may be looking at this thread.  Esdebe split of its tool development and support business to a new comany called Stone Ram.   If you need to reach out for Catman Overflow Support, the email address to use is nbucmd@stoneram.com

View solution in original post

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

This would not be a Supported by the normal Symantec GTEG offering as migration from appliance is not on the support matrix. Stone Ram (previously Esdebe), have a new offering to assist with this. If you contact catalog_manipulation@symantec.com they should pass on our details as we are now providing overflow support and support for the Non supported configurations. Stone Ram were instrumental in architecting and Developing the tools and IP. For more information on our service offerings in this area contact catalog_manipulation@symantec.com or nbucmd@stoneram.com

NOTE: edited to update Esdebe to Stone Ram

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RiaanBadenhorst

Should be, but you'll need to change the name of the master, as I think it would be more complicated to change the name of the storage server. Never tried to rename an MSDP before. Changing the master's name might be a pain however. How much data in the appliance?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Its a 40TB appliance ...

RiaanBadenhorst

There is a scenario in the training that is almost what you're trying to achieve. I don't see why it won't be possible.

Check with the PS team.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

If you are talking about catman training I can only see migration TO appliance and not from appliance ..

RiaanBadenhorst

I know, same thing really, its just a server in the end. Nothing special.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
It is not in the training. As you pointed out, the training covers going to appliances. We are currently working on updates to the training courses the updates cover migrating from appliance to appliance. Migrating off appliances back to software is not supported and is not on the current road map.

phil_scarfo
Level 3
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

Migrating the 5230 master 2.6.0x appliance (with demotion of said appliance to a media server only) to a windows master is a supported activity with CatMan v3. (NOT TRUE - Correction below)

I'd probably keep the hostname of the 5230 the same here.
A whole lot less complicated that way.

Phil Scarfo
Consultant

I've been corrected by Simon.

This activity is being accomplished through Esdebe.

Current CatMan support matrix:

catman_matrix_sept2014.JPG

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Hi Simon,

I have emailed to nbucmd@esdebe.com to get further help. No idea about how to proceed. I will wait for thier feedback on the same.

Thanks everyone.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

To anyone who may be looking at this thread.  Esdebe split of its tool development and support business to a new comany called Stone Ram.   If you need to reach out for Catman Overflow Support, the email address to use is nbucmd@stoneram.com

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

This would not be a Supported by the normal Symantec GTEG offering as migration from appliance is not on the support matrix. Stone Ram (previously Esdebe), have a new offering to assist with this. If you contact catalog_manipulation@symantec.com they should pass on our details as we are now providing overflow support and support for the Non supported configurations. Stone Ram were instrumental in architecting and Developing the tools and IP. For more information on our service offerings in this area contact catalog_manipulation@symantec.com or nbucmd@stoneram.com

NOTE: edited to update Esdebe to Stone Ram

RiaanBadenhorst

Stoneram.... as in hitting your head against a wall?

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

Stone Ram comes from "being built on a solid foundation of experiance" (Stone) and  "Recovery and Migration" (Ram)!!

No heads or walls are injured... in the process.

RiaanBadenhorst

:)