cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance 5230 Configuration

yobole
Level 6

I have just installed a Netbackup appliance for the first time and have a couple of questions. The Applaince was insalled as a dedicated Media server pointing to a tradition Netvbackup Master server

During the installation it spedified the date and time of the Master and Media need to be the same . The master server is based in Sweden while the applaince Media server is based in the UK . To avoid any issues with the install i set them both to the same europe time and the installtion went ok

1) Can i reset my Media server back to UK time ? do theses time have to be the same ?

2) Do I need to add all the other exsisting Media servers to the hosts file on the appliance

3) Where do I congisure policy for this Media server ? i guess from the master server console ?

its the first time I have played aroud with an appliance ...

Any best practice tips will be nice :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

different timezone i guess frequency based should help you here. could you try it with test policy.

Also ensure for OS if daylight savings are applicable they work correctly to avoid incorrect timestamp being reported and unnecessary backup being missed.

Appliance timezone can be changed by below CLISH

From the Main_Menu > Network view, use the following commands to set the time zone, the date, and the time for this appliance:

• Set the time zone by entering the following command:

TimeZone Set

Select the appropriate time zone from the displayed list.

• Set the date and the time by entering the following command:

Date Set Month Day HHMMSS Year

you can add them , however master server need to know about all media servers and clients.. not media server need to know about its new brother ;)

policy for media server.. i believe you meant to use appliance as media server for new backups.. if so you simply needs to change policy to use appliance storage unit (advance disk or dedupe)

if you intend to backup media server itself.. you would need to place it as client and point it to tape or disk from master or another media server to use.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

1. You can however, you need to remember to inform any support people with Symantec that there is a time difference so when they are looking at logs they can adjust appropriately.

2. Only if your DNS does not resolve both forward and backward

3. Yes from the master server console.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

different timezone i guess frequency based should help you here. could you try it with test policy.

Also ensure for OS if daylight savings are applicable they work correctly to avoid incorrect timestamp being reported and unnecessary backup being missed.

Appliance timezone can be changed by below CLISH

From the Main_Menu > Network view, use the following commands to set the time zone, the date, and the time for this appliance:

• Set the time zone by entering the following command:

TimeZone Set

Select the appropriate time zone from the displayed list.

• Set the date and the time by entering the following command:

Date Set Month Day HHMMSS Year

you can add them , however master server need to know about all media servers and clients.. not media server need to know about its new brother ;)

policy for media server.. i believe you meant to use appliance as media server for new backups.. if so you simply needs to change policy to use appliance storage unit (advance disk or dedupe)

if you intend to backup media server itself.. you would need to place it as client and point it to tape or disk from master or another media server to use.

hope this helps

yobole
Level 6

Thansk Guys .. think I have got it all confugured .

However I cannot seem to run a backup job ..error cannot connect to client 58

Check all the dns and firewall settings and all ok 

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Can the media server and the master server and the client resolve both forwad and backward the name of each other? In other words

From the master:

nslookup <media server>

nslookup <client>

nslookup <media IP>

nslookup <client IP>

From the media

nslookup <master>

nslookup <client>

nslookup <master IP>

nslookup <client IP>

From the client

nslookup <master>

nslookup <media>

nslookup <master IP>

nslookup <media IP>

If you cannot perform an nslookup without adding the FQDN then the client in the policy needs the FQDN. If you cannot resolve the revers lookup then you need to use a hosts file entry.

Do you have the Master server in the medis server's bp.conf and vice versa? Are both the Master and the media in the client's bp.conf (Unix / Linux) or in HKLM\Software\Symantec\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Servers?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

pls create new thread for new issue for better help for others

elanmbx
Level 6

To be honest, if I had a master in a different timezone than a media server I would set them ALL to UTC.  That way there is no ambiguity.