cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Tape to Disk

DKR_Veritas_08
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to backup solution and want to understand the procedures and components required to addopt tapeless solution on premise. What is required to restore data to from tape to disk to get rid of tapes and tape library?

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I'm not so sure that someone brand new to "backups" should be attempting this... but if you must... then you have lots to learn... lots to read... and lots of planning to do.

Perhaps have a look at this (but this is not the be-all and end-all) :

Appliance Capacity Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/89578623-133007278-0/v89991113-133007278

...but there is so much more to consider.

You really should attend a training course to at least get some idea of the basic concepts.  You will have a much greater chance of success if you get some industry pros in to help you.

bhdrkzltn
Level 4

Need to know more about the current environment to design a proper solution including alternate ways of doing this.

Just be aware that migrating from tapes to disk based solution do not require any traditional restore process. It includes reading all data from tapes and writing to the disk based target but this can be scriptised and performed automatically.

Number of tapes (size of data), infratructure to be used to move data and required time to complete the migration project are some key items to be considered. It ends up with capacity planning and proper sizing of the disk based solution anyway.

DPeaco
   VIP   

DKR,

Please provide as many details of what you have now for your backup solution. Software version, hardware platform, O/S release on the server(s), type of tape library and how much disk storage you have to migrate your tape data to. Also include how many tapes are you talking about. For example, tape wise...If I had to migrate the tapes at my location? That would require to migrate over 65,000 tapes. :) 

More details and what your goals/plans are and we can speak more clearly to your questions.

Thanks,
Dennis