cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore with NetBackup / Puredisk for Remote Offices

MCDIM
Level 2

Hi

I'm trying to help with an evaluation and there seems to be a mis-understanding here about exactly how part of the NBU/PD integration works and I hoped you guys could clear it up.

When Pure disk at a branch is used in conjunction with NetBackup in a Datacentre to export the data to NetBackup which product do I use to do a restore i.e which interface, as there is confusion here and it might be 6.2 vs 6.5 confusion or just sales confusion.

Do I use a puredisk interface to restore the files if the data is on disk or netbackup?

If the data needs retention for several years and cannot be held on disk for this time can the export to netbackup also be a purge from disk? 

In the second scenario to restore can I use the same interface i.e either puredisk or netbackup and the recall from tape to disk and back the client automatically or do I need to restore from NBU to disk, then pure disk to the client.

Many Thanks

MM

4 REPLIES 4

PD-UK
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

Once you have exported the data from PureDisk to NetBackup you will have 2 copies of the data - one in PureDisk and one within NetBackup. If you do not run Data Removal on the PureDisk SPA you can restore the data from the PureDisk SPA to the original client (or another PureDisk client) from within the PureDisk GUI.

After you have run the export to NetBackup you can run Data Removal within PureDisk to purge the references to the data. At this point you would have to restore the data via NetBackup - this restore will have to go to a NetBackup client and not a PureDisk client. NetBackup does not know how to talk directly to a PureDisk Client. 

There is no way to re-import the data from NetBackup back into PureDisk, either you would need to install the NetBackup agent onto the target system for the restore or restore the data to an existing NetBackup client and then copy it across to the PureDisk client.

Hope that helps

Philip

MCDIM
Level 2
Thanks Philip - very helpful

alazanowski
Level 5
I am very interested in replacing the Altiris RS solution we have with a netbackup/puredisk shop. So if we install the puredisk clients and keep the data permanently stored on the puredisk store, is there any need to actually install the netbackup clients on the machines we are backing up with puredisk? (Our in server shop will still use netbackup, but the remote clients will only use puredisk).

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi Outbacker,

You do not need to install netbackup client on the remote clients.

Remote clients will have puredisk agents and those agents will backup data to puredisk.

If there is a need to send selected set of data from puredisk to tape, you can use Puredisk's Netbackup export engine to send data on the tapes.

Again, even for this, you will just have to install netbackup client on the PD servers and not on remote clients.

Hope this answers your question.