cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stage Remote File Server Data In Puredisk before backing up over a WAN

spencerwilliams
Not applicable

Hi,

I will be rebuilding our existing puredisk server soon.  My predecessor did not keep it up to speed and it just needs to be redone from scratch.  I have 5 file servers that are remote office Windows file servers across the country.  I am currently backing up these servers via robocopy to a local USB drive at each site.  The average nightly change (via robocopy output) is around 100MB or so.  Not much change at all.  I would like to seed/stage/import this data into the new puredisk install (total data size will be around 4TB).  I don't want to think about how long it would take to get all of this data via initial sync.  I would much rather import 4TB and then have around 2 GB total data difference to get synced up after the initial seed/stage/import.

I have read a number of posts in the forum that talk about seeding, some say it is not possible, some say it is, some say "in theory" it should be.  I have read the install manual, etc and found nothing that talks about seeding/staging/importing during or soon after the initial install.  My questions to Symantec (or to a reader here who has done it) are:

Is there any documentation of a procedure that details how to seed the puredisk server via local LAN or import and then sync differences over a WAN?

Has anyone done this successfully?  How did it work?  Did you do it as instructed by Symantec or on your own?

Thanks,

Spencer Williams

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

Seeding data is not difficult at all, and not a special process in many cases.  This applies to most all top backup apps that can leverage client-side dedupe and do hash lookups for comparisons.

1. Backup data at remote site to removable storage
  2. Ship storage to main site
  3. Attach storage to computer/server
  4. Backup computer in main site that has the storage attached
  5. Data seeded.

PureDisk when scanning the remote clients, should compare file hashes and throw out the redundant segments.