cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 strikes backup report

JMOO
Level 2

Hi,

I dont really care too much about a single backup failure or even backup failures twice in a row - these are dealt with by another team.  I do however need to be notified if a backup fails 3 times in a row so I can ensure that it recieves the correct level of attention.

I am hoping someone might know if there is a way to generate this kind of report?  We are running Netbackup 7.5 and opscenter too.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

I do see this 1 strike , 2 strick and 3 strick failed jobs report genarations iin EMC data porduction advisor.

I have not find this in Opscenter..(may be i am not filly explored the Opscenter)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

I do see this 1 strike , 2 strick and 3 strick failed jobs report genarations iin EMC data porduction advisor.

I have not find this in Opscenter..(may be i am not filly explored the Opscenter)

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Unfortunately there is no "3 strike" feature in OPSCenter/  You can set an alert for each failure, however there is not filter to send an alert after 3 failed backups.

This would be great to add in the ideas : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

bills
Level 5

You can gather the info required to generate this report from bpdbjobs - it takes some scripting skills, but should be pretty basic (depending on how robust you want to make it).  This is how I've managed generating reports that aren't pre-packaged.

Bill

JMOO
Level 2

Hi,

I have too seen this report in EMC Data Protection Advisor and I got very used to recieving the report at my last organisation.  Its a shame that I no longer have this product available to me for this purpose.  I have logged a 'new idea' but I'm sure it would take a long time for it to recieve any attention which doesnt help me in the short term.

I wonder if anyone has seen any scripts which might already exist for pulling out this kind of information?  I must admit my netbackup scripting skills are a long way off the mark at present!

Thanks all for the advice.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

This gets you close, but its assuming you take daily backups. Basically it gets all jobs for the last 3 days that did not return status 0 and then if there are more than 3 of them it gives you the client name and the count of failed jobs. Hope it helps...

SELECT clientName, COUNT(*) 
FROM domain_Job 
WHERE statusCode <> 0 
    AND id = parentJobId
    AND DATEDIFF(day, UtcBigIntToNomTime(endTime), GETDATE()) <= 3
GROUP BY clientName
HAVING COUNT(*) > 3
ORDER BY COUNT(clientName) DESC

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Actually on second thought this will not account for only subsiquent failures. If it failed three times within the last three days with a successful backup as well it will still be included. But it should still fast track your search at least. I'll try to work on bettering my logic and see if I can get it to work better.

sclind
   VIP   

Miles - is this SQL stmt something you run against a Netbackup table?

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

If you have OpsCenter Analytics the place to run this from is:

Reports>Create New Report>Run SQL Query 

I don't believe you can connect directly to the OpsCenter database with out Analytics enabled, but you can try it if you'd like:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2810/how-to-migrate-a-sql-server-database-to-a-lower-version/?...

JMOO
Level 2

Thanks for your advice with options, I'm now struggling to get into OpsCenter but I'll give this a go as soon as possible.

I have also raised an 'idea' at the following link - if anyone wants to vote on it that would be great!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/3-strikes-backup-failure-report-or-alert

sclind
   VIP   

I'd like to try scripting something like this myself but the hangup for me is when multiple jobs are submitted per policy, for example, Windows snapshots.  Often I see the backup for a drive letter fail, only for the backup to be resubmitted *by Netbackup* and then it works.

It would be very tough to not only drill down to a drive letter level, but then also parse out 'it failed once but then reran OK'.

JMOO
Level 2

So I managed to get into OpsCenter this afternoon.  I have gone to the following location:

Reports>Create New Report

but the 'Run SQL Query' radio button cannot be selected.  Its NOT grayed out but it just wont click! very weird!  Any ideas why this might be?

Thanks!

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Are you licensed for Analytics, or just the basic OpsCenter? I believe you will need to have Analytics enabled to run custom SQL.