cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the data recovery

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

As i had the question in an interview ...that 

1. Suppose I take the backup week wise ie....( from sunday to sunday)......and suppose the server gets down on Wednesday...how can I recover the data of previous 2 days data ....

Please assists me regarding this ....please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

> How can I retrive the previous data (ie Monday, Tuesday)....

What does "retrieve" mean? Do you just want to look at the catalog backups for those days or you want to perform a DR recovery from those Catalog backups?

If you want to verify the backups are there for the Monday / Tuesday, then goto the NetBackup Management -> Catalog, change Policy name to the Catalog Backup name,select the date/time range and click Search Now

If you want to perform a DR Recovery then follow the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide (section 8) which details Disaster Recovery methods:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6470

If you just want to continue with incremental catalog backups on the Thursday, assuming the system was down on the Wednesday, it will just pick up any changes since the Tuesday, so there will be no problem - NetBackup is intelligent enough to know "I need to pick up any changes since the LAST incremental"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

This is the regarding the catalog backup...issue

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

The question does not have enough detail to formulate an answer.

What data are you wanting to recover? The Catalog backup or other data?

Server is down on Wednesday, but is it back up again when you want to "recover data" ?

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

My question is :-

I take the Week-wise catalog backup...(for exg: sunday to sunday)

suppose if  the server is down on wednesday....and on sunday ....if I suppose to take the catalog backup...I find the data of monday , tuesday catalog data ....is missing because .....server is down....

when the server is up...and I would like to take the catalog.backup.....

How can I retrive the previous data (ie Monday, Tuesday)....

Need a assists regarding this ...

this is question what has been asked in an interview 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

> How can I retrive the previous data (ie Monday, Tuesday)....

What does "retrieve" mean? Do you just want to look at the catalog backups for those days or you want to perform a DR recovery from those Catalog backups?

If you want to verify the backups are there for the Monday / Tuesday, then goto the NetBackup Management -> Catalog, change Policy name to the Catalog Backup name,select the date/time range and click Search Now

If you want to perform a DR Recovery then follow the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide (section 8) which details Disaster Recovery methods:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6470

If you just want to continue with incremental catalog backups on the Thursday, assuming the system was down on the Wednesday, it will just pick up any changes since the Tuesday, so there will be no problem - NetBackup is intelligent enough to know "I need to pick up any changes since the LAST incremental"

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

yes , I am looking at the catalog backup......

If I change the policy name .....will this make a difference .....

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

If i change the policy name this is conflict....between the older one and the new one .....

As the backup is done based on the policy name , policy type ....right ....

Can i have the clarification please 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Is the question the same as this one? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/catalog-4 See my answer in above post...

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Anything done in one policy does not affect other policies. They are independent. Edit: You can have 2 catalog backup policies, but I do not know why you would want this.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just remember that everything discussed here is theoretical and depends on what the interviewer wants to here!!

So, there is no right answer.

The job seeker needs to be confident of his/her answer and be able to justify the answer.

If you look at the link that I have posted above, you will see that my answer would be
'Fire the backup admin'!