cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a tape library on Netbackup

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi gaise... I have a one tape library IBM TS3310 and the version of my Master Server is 7.0. How do i do to add the tape on my Master Server? My tape is connected by Fibre Channel and i can to connect by http. When i attmpt to connect by console i receive this error: I choose TLD type. ande receive this message: Device configuration command failed on host plutao with the following error: Invalid host(88). Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
The devices will not appear until they are zoned to your server.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I also have a TS3310  - AIX master.

You say when you try to connect by console - are you saying with the NB console or are you trying to connect to the Library via web browser? 
If trying to get to the Library, you first have to go to the touch screen interface on the front of the library and configure it with a name and ip address, then you should be able to connect via a browser by just putting the server name in the browser address window.

If trying to add the library to NB, first have you made a virtual library on it.
Like library_a
You also have to get all the tape drives Zoned on the san to the the master and media servers - as the way the master server talks to the library - is not via the lan - but via the san and the "control" tape drive ( this is a drive you setup in the library saying it is the controlling tape drive)

Other than that I will need more info to understand what you are reallying have issues with.  Also what is your os type for NB.

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I was assuming that you have lot4 fiber tape drives on the library - my bad -  what kind of tape drives do you have?
if they are fiber drives then you have a fiber cable coming from the back of each drive going to a SAN switch.
If that is true, then you have to have your SAN people ZONE those drives to your master/media servers.
Log into the TS3310 via the browser and go to Library map and get the WWNN for each drive.
Or the Drive ID's screen.
Supply that info to the SAN people, this will allow them to find the drives on the SAN and setup Zoning that will allow your master/media to see the drives.

As to how NB manges the library:
It is my understanding that the LAN cable on the library is only used for the Browser interface.
Once you setup a library - go to Manage Drives in the browser and Control Paths.
At least one of these should be checked.  This is the drive that NB will use as a path to talk to the library (not the LAN cable)

How many modules and drives do you have?
Do you have one master/media or do you have more then media server.
Do you have SSO for NB?

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5

Let´s go...

I was assuming that you have lot4 fiber tape drives on the library - Yes, i have a LTO4 Fiber tape.

what kind of tape drives do you have? - the type of tape drive is TLD.

if they are fiber drives then you have a fiber cable coming from the back of each drive going to a SAN switch. - 
Yes, i have  four tape drives, and four fiber cable coming from the back of each driver, and is going to a SAN switch.

If that is true, then you have to have your SAN people ZONE those drives to your master/media servers.
Log into the TS3310 via the browser and go to Library map and get the WWNN for each drive.
- Yes, i have a WWNN for each drive.

Supply that info to the SAN people, this will allow them to find the drives on the SAN and setup Zoning that will allow your master/media to see the drives. - Sorry, i don´t understand this term. Do i what with the WWNN?

How many modules and drives do you have? I have a four drives

Do you have one master/media or do you have more then media server. I have a one master and one Media

Do you have SSO for NB? - Yes, i have a Shared Storage Option.

Thanks! wink

Will_Restore
Level 6

The following subsections explain how to configure robotic control when the

NetBackup media server is installed on an AIX system.

Determine the path to the LMCP device file

Use the Library Manager Control Point (LMCP) device file as the robotic device

file in NetBackup. This file is set up when the Automated Tape Library is first

configured.

Use the lsdev command (or smit) to determine the LMCP device file.

The following example uses the lsdev command:

/etc/lsdev -C | grep "Library Management"

The following is the output from this command:

lmcp0 Available LAN/TTY Library Management Control Point

Verify library communications on an AIX computer

After you determine the path to the LMCP device file, verify library

communications through the IBM-provided mtlib interface. Resolve all errors

before attempting to configure IBM 3494 support in Media Manager.

To verify communications with a specific library, specify the Library Manager

Control Point device file with the mtlib command. For example, if the LMCP device

path is /dev/lmcp0, the following command verifies communication with the

library:

/usr/bin/mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qL

The following is the output from this command:

Library Data:

state..................... Automated Operational State
<snip>

Configure the robotic device file on AIX

Configure the robotic path. For procedures, see the NetBackup Administrators

Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I or NetBackup Administrators Guide for

Windows, Volume I.

When the configuration is complete, you can view the robotic device information.

The following example uses tpconfig -d to view the robotic device information.

In this example, the first two drives are stand-alone drives. The drive with drive

index 31 is under TLH robotic control and the drive with drive index 78 is under

TL4 control.

# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
WWNN give it to your SAN people - the people who manage your SAN - the ones who setup that SAN switch that the tape drives are plugged into.
They have to go on the SAN and find that WWNN and then they tell the SAN to allow your master and media servers to access that WWNN.  If the WWNN is NOT Zoned to your master, it will never be able to see it.
Think of Zoning like some computer game.  Your servers are running around looking for tape drives.  The tape drives have a cloaking field.  You go to the arms dealer and you buy a device that will deactivate the cloaking field on the tape drives so you can see them.

All 4 tape drives need to be zoned to both the master and the media server - tell that to your SAN people.

What is the os of your master and media servers?  If they are AIX you need to make sure the Atape file set is installed on the server.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You sure that is for a TS3310  as I do not have LMCP and the lsdev give me nothing

I have ovpass0 and smc0

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
The devices will not appear until they are zoned to your server.

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5

Congratulations...!!!!

it is working now... the network enginer put the server in the correct zone.

Thanks

Will_Restore
Level 6
oops

Will_Restore
Level 6
wrong version, sorry sad

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I am so glad you got it working.
You win a bouns level for completing the Zoneing task in the game!cheeky

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If one of my post helped resolve the issue, would you be kind enought to mark one as a solution?