cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the SLP working fine with tapelibrary??

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

HI All,

first scenario : I configured one catalog policy for the master server to store directly to tape library.and when running backup i get succesful backup with status 0. then when i'm restoring using BAR console and define the source and destination then clck on preview media i get the result showing me the tape that contain the image.last run restore successfully.

But.................

second scenario: configured the same policy for the master server using SLP as follow: backup to the appliance then duplicate to tape library .when run backup i get succesful backup with status0 and duplicaton also with status0.when i'm restoring using the same way as first scenario and choosing any of images and click preview media i get error.so im confused if the tape library working with SLP?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you just want to be able to view / restore from the tape copy whilst you have a copy on disk still then just search the catalog for those images selecting Copy 2 at the top right.

Then right click on the images and select "make primary"

Any restore goes from the primary copy so next time you view / referesh the BAR GUI it will show the tape details

As the others have said the Catalog Backup is not one that you would normally do via the BAR GUI

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
You don't get a preview media with disk The disk is the primary copy so will be used for the restore Mefia related to tape only so it sounds as expected If worried just check the catalog - you could always promote the tape copy to primary then try againall sounds good to me

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sure SLP work with a tape libray. What error are you seeing during second senario ?

This policy you mention - is this type "NBU-Catalog"  ?

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

thanks for response!!

yes i know that i could not preview media with disk.when checking the image on tape i can find it their only, but when running the restore using BAR only can find the images on disks.so how to restore from tape not from disk?

kindly provide me with steps if availabe

Regards,

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

yes necolai the policy is type "NBU-Catalog'' here iam sure is every thing is ok because it was done in first scenario the problem is that i can find the image in reports >report on tape>images on tape

regards,

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you seen/done this ?

From http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75047:

Considerations when using SLPs with Catalog Backups

NetBackup 7.1 Best Practice – Using Storage Lifecycle Policies

 If catalog backups are duplicated using SLPs additional steps are required to restore the catalog from a non-primary copy of the catalog backup. More information about this can be found in the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide and also in TECH125748.

 If catalog backups are duplicated using SLPs both parts of the catalog backup must be duplicated in the same duplication job.

 Additional steps are required when recovering catalog backups from disk storage types supported with SLPs. More information about this process can be found in TECH72198

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you just want to be able to view / restore from the tape copy whilst you have a copy on disk still then just search the catalog for those images selecting Copy 2 at the top right.

Then right click on the images and select "make primary"

Any restore goes from the primary copy so next time you view / referesh the BAR GUI it will show the tape details

As the others have said the Catalog Backup is not one that you would normally do via the BAR GUI

Hope this helps

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

thanks Mark

I can understand here from your words that: the first copy of backup exist in the primary copy(here image on disk), and the duplication to tape is exist in copy 2.if this is right ,so it is easy to test it !! hope it will work ( I'm out of the site today  ,so ASAP will try to find the image in the copy 2 and inform you the result.)

appreciate

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

it is working exactly as you mention Mark.I just try the steps and it work proporly.thanks