cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Selection with wildcards and Allow multiple streams

Patrik_J_L
Level 3
Hi,

I'm running NBU 6.5.4 on Solaris Sparc. I have a policy that has Allow multiple stream enabled. 
The Backup Selection is /data/db/*
Now to my problem:

Lets say that I had the following directories when I created the policy:

/data/db/dir1
/data/db/dir2
/data/db/dir3

When I execute the backup it will start one parent job and three jobs for the directories.
So far, everything works as I want.

If I create another directory ( for example /data/db/dir4 ) it will not be backed up when the backup runs the next time.
The only way I can get it to back it up is to delete and add the backup selection again.

Should it be like this, or is this a bug?
TIA
Patrik
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Using multi-streaming in policy causes master server to connect to the client
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346836.htm

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& I have confirmed what you are seeing.

Created a test policy with wildcard /dir/*.
Created 3 sub-directories dir1, dir2 & dir3.
Ran backup -> parent + 3 child jobs.
Created additional sub-directory.
Ran manual backup -> parent + 3 child jobs.
Tried nbpemmreq -updatepolicies -> same result.
Just 'saved' policy (no changes).
Ran manual backup -> parent +4 child jobs.

As I say, I have heard of this before but cannot for the life of me remember the resolution/recommendations. I am sure there is a job that runs or similar that means these new directories are picked up as I have policies that are set up in this way & can confirm that everything is currently being backed up!

Will continue looking .....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Using multi-streaming in policy causes master server to connect to the client
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346836.htm

Patrik_J_L
Level 3
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your answer. 

I will have a look at this parameter.

Rgds

Patrik

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

if you've got the time, just wait the default 4 hours! wink

Not sure of the impact you may encounter if you drop the interval (looks like it's only in hours - so minimum 1 hour unless it accepts fractions)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I can confirm that my little test now results in all directories being saved as separate streams.

Patrik_J_L
Level 3
Hi Andy,

Yes, it works as you explained.

Thanks

/Patrik

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If you dropped the ppi maybe worth monitoring to see if this has any adverse affect on your environment/clients.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Further to the T/N quoted earlier, using the command bpconfig to amend the pre-processing interval, the "full" explanation of the -prep option from the appropriate man page or Commands Guide:

-prep hours
Specifies the preprocessing interval. This interval is the minimum time in hours between client queries to discover new paths when NetBackup uses auto-discover-streaming mode.
The default Preprocess Interval value is four (4) hours. If the preprocessing interval changes, change it back to the default by specifying -prep -1. The preprocessing interval can be set to preprocess immediately by specifying 0 as the preprocess interval for auto discovery on the bpconfig command line. The maximum Preprocessing Interval is 48 hours.

So bpconfig -prep 0 sets the preprocess interval to:

# bpconfig -U
Preprocess Interval:          every time
#
i.e. it will pre-process every time when starting a new job (have just confirmed this by setting the above, creating a new directory per the above post & running the job - all directories were picked up).

Now setting it back to default.......!