Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup server with different vlan

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Experts,

Need your inputs here. I have a master server Nbu 7.6 in windows, appliance 5230 as media server and mixture of clients. All in same vlan. Now we have a bunch of other servers which is there in other network(vlan) and configured these servers(all have dedicated bkp nic) in backup infra. But the throughput we are getting is 10-12MB/s. So to overcome this, we are planing to have a dedicated network for backup and have a diretc connection from appliance to the switch where all these clients are connected. so the data will transfer directly from these servers to appliance which will improve the backup speed.

Plan is below

Clients are in different vlan than the current backup infra.

We have 4 10G Ethernet ports in appliance which is not using at present. Going to assign two ports from this and bond it then assign same vlan ip as clients have and directly connect to the switch where clients are connected. 

But my doubt is, if we are doing in this way. do i need to assigne and configure my backup server also with one more nic with same vlan(clients vlan) ? Or it will communicate the media server with same existing vlan when these clients backedup ?  Nbu ports are already open with current backup server vlan IP and client vlan IPs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The appliance need two IPs. One for the current network and one for the new subnet.

Both IP addresses need to be registred in DNS with diffrent names - eg BCKSRV & BCKSRV-2

Client on the new subnet need to have "BCKSRV-2" as the master server.

Since you will be directly connected to the subnet there is no need to change default routes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ajith,

Have you investigated why the performance is 10/12MB/s? Are these clients going through a firewall or some other device that is limiting the performance?

IMHO backup networks (clients with more than one NIC/IP) cause more hassles and confusion than what is needed. If you're planning to do this I would suggest adding a separate DNS scope for the backup network so that you can resolve name, and access clients via only the backup IP address.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

This is a networking question. If your new vlan routes to the clients then fine, but really you want your clients sending the data to the server over a dedicated LAN.

You can set-up clients/media servers to communicate over a specific NIC using preferred network settings in NetBackup

Preferred Network

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135376

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The appliance need two IPs. One for the current network and one for the new subnet.

Both IP addresses need to be registred in DNS with diffrent names - eg BCKSRV & BCKSRV-2

Client on the new subnet need to have "BCKSRV-2" as the master server.

Since you will be directly connected to the subnet there is no need to change default routes.