cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups getting failed with 84 error

Sharad_Singh7
Level 4

Hello All,

Backups are getting failed with error 84 from a media server , when I checked bptm logs found below:

12:52:50.719 [18242] <16> write_data: cannot write image to media id L02933, drive index 8, I/O error

Kindly suggest.

Netbackup Version: 6.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Check which drive is using drive index 8, down it and see if you get issues with any other drives in the storage unit.

Check in the system messages file to see if there are drive issues. Look to clean or even replace the drive if faulty.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Check which drive is using drive index 8, down it and see if you get issues with any other drives in the storage unit.

Check in the system messages file to see if there are drive issues. Look to clean or even replace the drive if faulty.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Agree, I/O errors are typically at OS level, is it the same drive always having issues, or the same media - these answers can give a clue.

It's also possible for one bad drive to physically damage many media,  doesn't happen that often, but oddly enough saw it the other week, one drive absolutely wreaked about 10 tapes (despite the drive vendor checking the drive and saying there was no issue and then blaming NetBackup), which is why when drives and media are down or frozen you stop using them until the issue is investigated.

Look for TAPEALERT in the bptm log or asc/ ascq errors.

Sharad_Singh7
Level 4

Cleaned the drive and backups are running fine now.