cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method for replacing an existing backup server

DataProtector
Level 4
I have only one backup server (windows 2000, 32 bit, Netbackup 6.0 MP4) that has suppected netbackup database problems but I have never witness any problems.  However, I am looking at purchasing new hardware (64bit processor) and installing netbackup 6.5 on a window server 2003 platform.   I would like to have a fresh install for the new server and slowly migrate clients over to the new backup server while leaving the existing backup server in place until images expires (within 90 days,  any images beyond that I can move the images over to new media server).  Once all images have expire from the old backup server, then old server can be removed.   The storage unit for both of these servers would be a VTL shared between the two and an ADIC i500.   I'm looking for any references, additional information, comments, etc on best methods for deploying a new backup server in this mannor.    I am trying to avoid moving the existing netbackup server database to the new server. 
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dude,
You got it!
That is exactly how I would migrate.
I would talk to the VTL vendor for input on the sharing and eventual decommission of the older server.

DataProtector
Level 4
Thanks Bob.   I have a call with the Vendors of the VTL this afternoon.   Thanks again for the great advise you give on all the posting to this forum.