cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect Virtual Center and ESX in NetBackup 6.5

Chobits
Level 3

Hi all,

I have installed a NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.5 on Windows 2K3 R2 w/ SP2.  And recently installed VCB 1.5 on same machine.  I have tested to use vcbMounter in CLI to get the VM image using SAN mode. 

Then, I followed those step in NetBackup for VMware Configuration (289771) to config my NetBackup Server.  When I config the VM backup policy, seems NetBackup can't find or connect to my Virtual Center server.

Do you have any idea??? Many thanks and here comes my config

Backup Server

- Windows 2K3 Enterprise R2 w/ SP2

- NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.5

- VCB Framework 1.5

Virtual Center Server

- Windows 2K3 Standard w/ SP2

- Virtual Center 2.5 Update 2

- MS SQL Server 2005 Standard

Chobits

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ConnyS
Level 3

Don't know if you ever solved this problem or not, but I had the same issue. Try this it worked for me:

In the Administration Console, click on the Policies Node

Click on View (from the top) then options and click on the policies tab

Adjust the VMware connect timeout value

Click OK. 

I changed mine to 800 seconds. 

You may also need to change the port option under Credentials,  Virtual Machine servers. Double click on your ESX server then remove the check mark next to connect using port number. This way the system can discover the port instead of by using the default. 

Hope this helps, if you haven't already solved the problem 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Did you install any NB maintenance packs ?

Chobits
Level 3

Hi Marek,

I have already updated to 6.5.3.  When I choose the client in vm backup policy, and click "browse vm", then NetBackup will prompt the message "Failed to get VM server info list - File read failed (13)".

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

I dont have any Idea in ESX Backup but i found this in Symantec Tech DOC !

May be Helpful ! :)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295173.htm 

Chobits
Level 3

Hi Karthikeyan,

Thanks for ur help. I got the solution from this doc.  But when I create that cache file "vcbnames_##ESX_or_VirtualCenter_hostname##_Any", it doesn't work.  It works when I create a folder call "vcbnames_##ESX_or_VirtualCenter_hostname##_Any" instead.  And I didn't find any cached information from this folder...... very strange.

Chobits
Level 3

Hi Karthikeyan,

We I create the cache as file instead of folder.  It will continue to prompt the "file read failed".  Here comes the log from bpVMtil. 

14:54:09.233 [5720.4704] <2> logparams: C:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpVMutil.exe 0 0 _NONE_
14:54:09.233 [5720.4704] <2> findVCBRegistry: found path = C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> get_id_lock: wait lock timeout value: 15 minutes
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> fis_lock: WRITE LOCK VMcache_lock fd = 1792
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> get_VM_names: get_id_lock returned 0
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> read_cache:  read cache file = C:\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_VCServer-01_Any
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> fis_unlock: UNLOCK fd = 1792
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> fis_unlock: removing C:\Veritas\NetBackup\VMcache_lock
14:54:09.295 [5720.4704] <2> get_VM_names: release_id_lock returned 0

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Sorry Chobtis I dont have any Idead in VCB !

I could be very Helpful if u Get the Job details Status Error Logs !

Guys, Please anyone Help him on this ! :)

ConnyS
Level 3

Don't know if you ever solved this problem or not, but I had the same issue. Try this it worked for me:

In the Administration Console, click on the Policies Node

Click on View (from the top) then options and click on the policies tab

Adjust the VMware connect timeout value

Click OK. 

I changed mine to 800 seconds. 

You may also need to change the port option under Credentials,  Virtual Machine servers. Double click on your ESX server then remove the check mark next to connect using port number. This way the system can discover the port instead of by using the default. 

Hope this helps, if you haven't already solved the problem 

DaveG_2
Level 3
Thanks ConnyS, your solution worked for me!