cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Default Volume Pool

Jeremy_Koons_2
Level 2
I could not find a clear answer on how to change the default pool that new tapes are placed in. When I insert a new tape, it is automatically placed in NetBackup and I would like it to go to the scratch pool.

ThanksMessage was edited by:
Jeremy Koons
13 REPLIES 13

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
As far as I'm aware (and I just referenced the training guide from my NBU6 training course), the NetBackup pool is the default for a new volume added manually. Once in there however, you can move it to the scratch pool. Then, after media manager puts a tape from teh scratch pool into a different volume pool, it will return back to the scratch pool when all of the images on the volume have expired.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has found a way to default the volumes to the scratch pool.

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Hi,

Do you have SCRATCH_POOL = ScratchPool in your vm.conf ?

What is the netbackup version you're using ?

There is a bp.conf entry to force new media to go to the scratch pool. You may also do it with a barcode rule (I think it is possible)

Julien_Mari
Level 4
I've tested it. You can do it in the barcode rule.

Jeremy_Koons_2
Level 2
Sorry but I am new to NetBackup, I have version 5.1MP3 for Windows. Where do I find the barcode rules?

Julien_Mari
Level 4
In the Gui. left menu, right click on media and select inventory robot.

Click on update volume config and click on advanced option. Here you have the barcode rules tab.
Choose new.

Now if you have let say GHxxxx labels for your tapes, and you want them to go back in the scratch when you enter them in the library do the following:

BARCODE TAG = GH
MAX mount 0 (infinity) you could change to whatever you want. Be careful. 0 is a good value except for cleaning tape.
MEDIA TYPE keep default. you can change it if you have GHxxxx LTO1 LTO2 and LTO3 and you want only the LTO2 to go in the scratch. By using default all the GH will go in scratch
VOLUME POOL = SCRATCHPOOL (or the name of your scratch pool, anyway usually scratchpool is a good name)
DESCRIPTION whatever you want

It's special for catalog tapes, when you enter them in the library they go back automatically to the catalog pool.

Julien_Mari
Level 4
Ho and check your /program file/veritas/volmgr/vm.conf. and the SCRATCHPOOL line in there. This will give you the label of your scratch pool.

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Well this command usually works in 4.5. I haven't figured out why it doesn't always
work, possibly because I forget to use the fully qualified name. I don't know about 6.0.

vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -rh $mediaserver -interactive -p FreeTape -empty_map

Run this command after injecting the tapes.

zippy
Level 6
Lance is correct 10 points for Lance !

JD

Jeremy_Koons_2
Level 2
Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Stumpr2
Level 6
barcodes RULE!

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Use the barecode rules to direct the media to go to the specific volume pools while you check-in the tapes into library.

Raghava.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
I agree with Lance, when you move media in and do an inventory it gets allocated to the netbackup pool and then you can choose to move it to the scratchpool.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
I use barcode rules to automatically put all new tapes into scratch. I only use the NetBackup pool for catalog tapes.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump