cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating old data from decommisioned server

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
I'm trying to migrate some old data from 3590 tapes to newer tape. I'm running into the problem that we decommissioned a server several years ago, and I'm trying to migrate images from it.

I'm using 5.1mp5. I can't import the media because the master server already knows about it, but I can't seem to migrate it because the old server does not exist. What is the process for fixing this.

Thanks,
11 REPLIES 11

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Chris,

Hope you get some resolution on your problem. I've seen some posts on here about this very subject before, but I don't think there was ever a resolution. We'll see though! Question for you: what company do you work for in Des Moines, IA? I was born and raised in Newton, so I'm familiar with the area.

Lance

zippy
Level 6
change the tape labels to another number then import them.

JD

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
A relabel isn't possible. Can I expire them and re-import them?

G_S
Level 4
Are the images that NBU currently knows about the ones that are actually on the tape or have you used physically different tapes with the same labels since that server was retired? Speaking of which...the server that was retired...I assume it was a media server? If so, when it was retired did you move all of it's media to another media server?

AKopel
Level 6
Have you tried this one?
bpmedia -movedb -m -oldserver -newserver

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
The server was removed a couple of years ago. They thought they'd moved all of the data to our newer server, but I've discovered that they missed some of the archival data.

This is the exact same media that was written to, the label and tape have never changed, they've been offsite at our secure location for the last several years.

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
That was a good idea, but didn't fix this problem. The old server is probably in a junk pile someplace, and the master server couldn't contact it to move the data.

AKopel
Level 6
So basically, you are missing the catalogs for the old media server?
Anyway to restore those?

AKopel
Level 6
Another thing that might work (I would call support first) is to deassignbyid the media to rip it out of the master server, Then you might be able to import it again...

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
I placed a call with support to double check to see what they think. I like the suggestion, but I want to be as sure as possible before I start risking this data any more than is necessary.

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
Support suggested using a bpexpdate and then re-importing the tapes in order. She suggested trying to use bplable, but I wanted simple and a sure bet for our archival data for this data.